informal usage of mutt

kenny4528

Mandarin, Taiwan
Hello,

I have a question concerning the term "mutt" used to modify people, of which I found two distinct definitions on-line:

1. A person of mixed racial descent---here
2. a stupid or insignificant person---here
So in the following example sentences, what does it mean by mutt to your ear?

B: Why can't you get along with X?
A: I hated him. He is a mutt.

Last edited:
  • ruffy

English & Scots
    Just to clarify, did you mean 'muff' in the last example, or was it still meant to be mutt?

If you meant mutt, I wouldn't tend to use it in every day language (reserving it purely for its canine use) but others may have a different opinion on this. If, on the other hand, you did mean 'muff', I can tell you that this has an entirely different meaning when describing someone and can be quite offensive so use it sparingly!:)

kenny4528

Mandarin, Taiwan
    Just to clarify, did you mean 'muff' in the last example, or was it still meant to be mutt?

If you meant mutt, I wouldn't tend to use it in every day language (reserving it purely for its canine use) but others may have a different opinion on this. If, on the other hand, you did mean 'muff', I can tell you that this has an entirely different meaning when describing someone and can be quite offensive so use it sparingly!:)
    Sorry, it's a typo.:) I know it's a derogatory term to apply to people and I just like to know what it tends to mean to native English speakers. Thank you, ruffy.

ruffy

English & Scots
    Ahh, no problem :) Phew!

Just having a look through OED, the meanings of mutt (n.) when describing someone (rather than in its original animal sense) are:

A person who is awkward, ignorant, or blundering; an incompetent, a fool. Also without negative connotation: a person, a fellow.
    and...

derogatory. An unattractive woman.

solamentehayunajefa

English-England, Spanish-Mexican
    The word mutt is mainly used to refer to dogs that are mongrels but also can be used as a derogatory terms to people who are mixed race, however this is less common. I have also heard mutt being used in a jokey way when someone has done something stupid or idiotic. However if you meant muff, then this is something totally different...and I don't think that you would really call anyone a muff...

kenny4528

Mandarin, Taiwan
    The word mutt is mainly used to refer to dogs that are mongrels but also can be used as a derogatory terms to people who are mixed race, however this is less common. I have also heard mutt being used in a jokey way when someone has done something stupid or idiotic. However if you meant muff, then this is something totally different...and I don't think that you would really call anyone a muff...
    Thank you too, solamen, and welcome to the forum.

< Previous | Next >