informed by student pedagogy

< Previous | Next >

Renatrix

polski
An excerpt from a book review (Amazon.com: Conflict, Security and Development: An Introduction (9780415499835): Danielle Beswick, Paul Jackson: Books):
The authors are experienced in both the theory and practice of development and conflict, and illustrate the theory about the links between conflict, security and development with practical examples, drawing on key case studies from the past twenty years. Each chapter is informed by student pedagogy and the book will be essential reading for all students of development studies, war and conflict studies, and human security, and is recommended for students of international security and international relations in general.
What does the underlined part mean? That each chapter is written in such a way so that it's useful for and understood by students? Is the verb 'inform' used here to mean "To give form or character to; imbue with a quality or an essence" (AHD)?

• PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    To inform, in this context = to share/give/impart knowledge to - it is a rare meaning of the verb - but then "pedagogy" is a rare word also and questionable in this usage.

Each chapter is informed by student pedagogy = Student pedagogy informs each chapter. -> A method used to teach [the] students adds information/understanding about each chapter.

Last edited:

cissy3

English-England
    but then "pedagogy" is a rare word also and questionable in this usage.
    I agree.
    ''Student pedagogy'' sounds almost like an oxymoron to me.

(''Pedagogy'' has become a bit of a buzz-word in the teaching profession; in Britain anyway)

Renatrix

polski
    To inform, in this context = to share/give/impart knowledge to - it is a rare meaning of the verb - but then "pedagogy" is a rare word also and questionable in this usage.

Each chapter is informed by student pedagogy = Student pedagogy informs each chapter. -> A method used to teach [the] students adds information/understanding about each chapter.
    I don't understand:-(. I mean I understand single words, but the whole sentence doesn't make sense to me. How can 'student pedagogy' inform the chapters? Informs about what?

Renatrix

polski
    Thanks, Velisarius. I look at PauQ's and Cissy's replies and I wonder whether the original sentence is unambiguous and correct...
    What do you think, Velisarius?

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    It sounds pretentious to me, and "student pedagogy" is puzzling. I agree with Paul here:
    pedagogy" is a rare word also and questionable in this usage.
    and with cissy here:
    ''Student pedagogy'' sounds almost like an oxymoron to me.

(''Pedagogy'' has become a bit of a buzz-word in the teaching profession; in Britain anyway)
    Still, I think I understand what the sentence is supposed to mean. I haven't looked at the book under review, but it sounds as though the book has been written as, or chiefly as, a textbook for students.

< Previous | Next >