Informed by the old stereotype

< Previous | Next >

Oswinw011

Chinese
Ch**ese, in these xenophobic accounts, are seen as taking resources away from deserving local populations, and having uncouth behaviour. More broadly, this can also be seen as informed by older stereotypes of Chi*ese as dirty, having bad hygiene and undesirable culinary practices,” she said.(Source: south Chin* morning post)

Hi, everyone
I came across this word Inform. After I checked the dictionary, I found what I thought would be the most related definition:imbue with, instruct. But I also think, maybe "strengthened by" makes sense too. What's your opinion? Thanks

• lingobingo

English - England
    It’s difficult to explain! It means that one thing is affected by another in a particular way – which can mean being imbued with and/or strengthened by a certain quality or characteristic.

See definition 2 here – Inform | Meaning of Inform by Lexico – and especially the “More example sentences”.

Oswinw011

Chinese
    It’s difficult to explain! It means that one thing is affected by another in a particular way – which can mean being imbued with and/or strengthened by a certain quality or characteristic.

See definition 2 here – Inform | Meaning of Inform by Lexico – and especially the “More example sentences”.
    Thanks lingobingo, I will mull over those examples again. At least I am clear now I picked up the right definition.

< Previous | Next >