infringir = Infringe + to?

Anama8

Castellano, Argentina
I'm confused, is it ok if I use the word "INFRINGED" in this sentence as a synonim of "caused"? Thanks in advance.
"As Phoenix’s ill grandson was her motivation to go through different obstacles in order to get him his medicine, the sweet taste of equality motivated black people to persevere through the unfair impediments that came with the racism infringed to them by the white Americans of the time. "

• Anama8

Castellano, Argentina
    I modificated it like this "...impediments that came with the racism inflicted to them by the white Americans of the time." Although inflict always carries an object, this is passive voice so, is it ok?

donbill

English - American
    I'm confused, is it ok if I use the word "INFRINGED" in this sentence as a synonim of "caused"? Thanks in advance.
    "As Phoenix’s ill grandson was her motivation to go through different obstacles in order to get him his medicine, the sweet taste of equality motivated black people to persevere through the unfair impediments that came with the racism infringed to them by the white Americans of the time. "
    ....racismo inflicted on them by / inflicted upon them by. (One does not say 'inflict to' in English.)

Saludos

Anama8

Castellano, Argentina
    fenixpollo, the verb that I was looking for was "infringir" and the first word that came to my mind was "inflinge", I couldn't think on any other synonim, so much for waking up so early in the morning!

FromPA

USA English
    The verb "infringe" in English refers to the violation of a law or right. The object is never a person. Here's the definition from Dictionary.com:

verb (used with object) 1. to commit a breach or infraction of; violate or transgress: to infringe a copyright; to infringe a rule.
    verb (used without object) 2. to encroach or trespass (usually followed by on or upon ): Don't infringe on his privacy. (note that the object is "privacy," not the person whose privacy is being violated)

< Previous | Next >