Inherited forms from iulius & Iulius (and hypothetically Tullius) in Romance

Lusus Naturae

Cantonese
Wiktionary says Iuglio went through a process of dissimilation - what does the disappearance of the G in Giuglio have to do with dissimilation? Isn't julio more likely the result of dissimilation for it would otherwise be jujo?

Is Jules borrowed? Why does it have an s at the end?
Given iulius > juil, hypothetically, would the inherited French name from Tullius be Tuil or Tuille?

Hypothetically, what would the inherited forms from Tullius be in Iberian languages?

• Zec

Croatian
    I agree, there's no dissimilation at work there, since the "g"-s are only graphic.

Some personal names end with an -s in Western Romance languages because they derive from the Latin nominative case, while most nouns derive from the Latin accusative case. In French there's also Charles, Jacques, and in Spanish there's Carlos, and probably more I can't remember.

Now, French is tricky because it retained a two-case system for long enough to develop sound changes unique to each form, which then leads to analogical reformation:

- For, Iūlius, it would be cas sujet Julz, cas régime Juil

- For Tullius, it would be cas sujet Tolz, cas régime Toil

What would come out of this in Modern French is difficult to say (I'm basing this on fils "son" and genou "knee"), I'd guess Juil and Touil, if based on C. R. and Juls and Toux if based on C. S., ideally all final consonants would be silent in that case, but fils has kept the final /s/ so who knows...

Jules is definitely borrowed since there is a) no trace of palatalization, and b) final vowel preserved in a paroxytone: the inherited form should have been the same as the month's name.

Penyafort

Catalan (Catalonia), Spanish (Spain)
    Hypothetically, what would the inherited forms from Tullius be in Iberian languages?
    In my opinion:
    - Tull in Catalan,
    - Tujo or Tullo in Spanish.

The actual learned words are Tul·li in Catalan and Tulio in Spanish.

< Previous | Next >