Initial and acronym, the difference

bmo

Taiwan
BM= big mouth or bowel movement, BO=body order. Are they initials or acronyms?

Thanks.

• hellas15

Scotland, English, Greek
    Initials.

Initials (I'm fairly certain) stand for nouns and words, Acronyms stand for words or a phrase which then itself can be said as a separate word.

EG SCUBA gear = Self Contained Underwater Breathing Apparatus

(I think BO is body odour)

hellas15

Scotland, English, Greek
    Yes I would say so, although it is quite hard to say with shorter ones such as BO which is often spoken as a word. You will need to get a second opinion on it I'm afraid, sorry.

Primal

Canadian English
    Well, with initials, you pronounce each letter (BO... [bee oh]) but (I'm pretty sure this is the difference) with acronyms, you pronounce all of the letters together as a word. Like hellas said, scuba stands for self contained underwater breathing apparautus, but it is pronounced [skoobah] instead of [ess see you bee ay]. This is my understanding. Therefore, this makes BO and BM initials, not acronyms.
    Prymal

bmo

Taiwan
    Thank you all, I think I got it. I once saw a lady's T-shirt with these initials, PHD, I was impressed. I thought she might be between jobs after getting her Doctor of Philosophy degree. But there were fine prints below which say professional hairdresser. Funny huh?

Happy Lunar New Year - February 7, the year of the rat.

bmo (It's neither BM, nor BO, it's BMO)

bmo

Taiwan
    Sorry, one more question. Is WHO, the World Health Organization, which is pronounceable, initials or acronym.

Thanks.

< Previous | Next >