a few other people just to see.
    But I knew that Richard was the guy
    right from the moment he read it.
    He came in and he was so funny.
    He gave me so much.
    I mean, everybody in this audition
    was just insane and then I asked him to pull back
    a little bit.

Okay, I have trouble with the last sentence. I'm not sure if insane can be used as a synonym of 'extraordinary' or something similar, or should I translate it just as 'loco'.

I don't understand either what does the last expression mean. The director wanted to cast him, but he asked him to pull back. Does that mean that 'le pidió que se retirase' or 'le pidió que esperase (mientras seguía haciendo audiciones)'? What do you think?

Thanks!

2. sophiaswaltz Senior Member

U.S.A. English
    Hello olvidadero,

Without having more of the text, it is difficult to answer your question with any certainty. But I will make an attempt with what you provided.

Insane not only means "crazy" but has also become a slang word in English. I think the slang progression started as "He was insanely good" (which meant he was extraordinary) or "He was insanely bad". (which mean he was horrendous) But now it has been further shorted to "He was insane" which could mean either. In the passage you shared, without knowing the full context, I don't know if the author is saying that the other actors were extraordinary or horrendous.

When the narrator asked the actor to "pull back a little bit" that means he asked him to make his performance more subtle. Again, I don't know the context, but for television and movies acting needs to much more subtle than for stage. Otherwise it appears to be over-acting.

I hope that helps.