Inside of the front door was lined with duct tape

aleaf

Japanese
My kids are cute and mischievous. The other day, inside of the front door was lined with duct tape, so we had a hard time peeling them off.

I made it up. Is it vague about how the duct tape was stuck to the door? Was it covering most of the door? Was it bordering the edges of the door, perhaps filling the gap, making the door stuck? Was it in a straight line down or across the door?

• perpend

Banned
    American English
    Probably all of the gaps/lines of the door, from the top, to the sides, to the bottom. :)

Glenfarclas

English (American)
    You "line" the inside of something, but a door doesn't have an inside -- it's just a big, flat, solid surface. From this sentence, I certainly couldn't guess where the kids put duct tape onto the door.

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    Aleaf, where do you intend to say that the tape was?

Line as a verb has several meanings, but it is a surprising verb to see here. If you tell us what you have in mind, we may understand what meaning of line you have in mind.

perpend

Banned
    American English
    Well, you have to look on the other side.

Every door, for me, has an inside and an outside.

Some people winterize doors, or do it for other purposes (termites, etc.), and you put duct tape along any lines of the door, where air comes through.

These are doors that you don't use during most of the year.

RM1(SS)

English - US (Midwest)
    My kids are cute and mischievous. The other day, inside of the front door was lined with duct tape, so we had a hard time peeling them off.

I made it up. Is it vague about how the duct tape was stuck to the door? Was it covering most of the door? Was it bordering the edges of the door, perhaps filling the gap, making the door stuck? Was it in a straight line down or across the door?
    I would take that as meaning that the entire surface of the door was covered with tape.

RedwoodGrove

English, USA
    My kids are cute and mischievous. The other day, the inside of the front door was lined with duct tape, so we had a hard time peeling it off.

This is obviously an anomalous situation, but my immediate reaction was that only the edges of the door had duct tape. You can't have a "lining" if the entire thing is covered.

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    I suppose aleaf knows what they have in mind, and will be able to tell us what they want to sya when they return.

Otherwise we are just speculating, which is forbidden in this forum -- though tempting.

sdgraham

USA English

Since you made it up, you need to tell us what you are trying to say.

[cross-posted with cagey]

RM1(SS)

English - US (Midwest)
    This is obviously an anomalous situation, but my immediate reaction was that only the edges of the door had duct tape. You can't have a "lining" if the entire thing is covered.
    I was assuming that the tape covered the entire inner surface of the door the same way the lining of my daughter's coat covers the entire inner side of it.

aleaf

Japanese
    Thank you, all of you, very much!
    In my mind, the kids stuck duct tape around the edges of the backside so it would also cover the doorframe, getting the door stuck. That's just what I thought, and I was wondering about some images native speakers might have.

< Previous | Next >