insist

< Previous | Next >

Jenny_st

bulgarian; english
Can you help me with the following sentence:
'He tried to persuade us to accept his first offer, but we insisted on giving us a 20%discount, which he finally did, if a little reluctantly.'
There'a a mistake here '...insisted on giving us...' but I can't understand why it's not correct.

• Copyright

American English
    Welcome to the forum. :)

We would like to know the source of your sentence ... is this from an exercise, a book, your own work?

Copyright

American English
    The phrase "we insisted on giving us a 20% discount" means that we insisted on ourselves giving ourselves a 20% discount, when what we want is for the man to give us a 20% discount. Here is one solution:

He tried to persuade us to accept his first offer, but we insisted on his/him giving us a 20% discount, which he finally did, if a little reluctantly.

Another solution, which may not be allowed in your exercise but which may give you a little insight into the problem, is to drop "giving us":

He tried to persuade us to accept his first offer, but we insisted on a 20% discount, which he finally gave us, if a little reluctantly.

Melamori

Russian, Ukrainian
    I think it would be correct to say
    'He tried to persuade us to accept his first offer, but we insisted on his giving us a 20%discount, which he finally did, if a little reluctantly.'

Otherwise it is not clear what we insisted exactly on... if we wanted him to give us a discount or if we wanted to give a discount, in which case the sentence doesn't make any sense.

e2efour

UK English
    Hi Jenny_st and welcome to the forum.

Insist on must be followed by a noun or verb. In this case it is a verbal noun (giving). To make it clear who is doing the giving (the other person) we add a pronoun (which can be his or her, for example).

Examples: We insisted on her staying the night. We insisted on paying for the meal. We insisted on her paying for the meal.

< Previous | Next >