insistent ON????

• Focalist

European Union, English
    Artrella said:
    Do you say "insistent" ON or you use a THAT clause after "insistent?
    Both:

- Why is the world so insistent on protecting Arafat?
    - Al-Sistani is insistent on holding the elections
    - Even Blair’s closest supporters cannot understand why he is so insistent on supporting Bush

- Although the Minister was insistent that there was not a crisis
    - She was quite insistent that Mike and Victoria would get back together
    - The teacher is insistent that the school is not to blame for the situation

F

Focalist

European Union, English
    Here's the complete paragraph from which I took that example:
    Health Minister, John Hutton, called a meeting of a number of representatives of providers of long term care in his office on Thursday 26 October 2000. Although the Minister was insistent that there was not a crisis, his introduction did identify that the Department of Health are aware that there has been a loss of 10,000 nursing beds in the past year. -- www.rnha.co.uk
    F

jacinta

USA English
    I also say a lot: "I must insist upon..." but it doesn't sound right saying "he is insisent upon us handing in our homework on time." or does it?? It's strange to think so hard on my own language!

quehuong

Vietnam, Vietnamese
    Focalist said:
    Here's the complete paragraph from which I took that example:

Health Minister, John Hutton, called a meeting of a number of representatives of providers of long term care in his office on Thursday 26 October 2000. Although the Minister was insistent that there was not a crisis, his introduction did identify that the Department of Health is aware that there has been a loss of 10,000 nursing beds in the past year. -- www.rnha.co.uk
    F
    No longer confused.

< Previous | Next >