inspire = inhale?

< Previous | Next >

sdgraham

USA English
There are two current threads regarding "inspire," a word I've always taken to mean some sort of mental discovery imposed from without.

See recent threads:
What does "inspired mediocrity" mean??
Inspired by/Inspired on something

Yet, in another recent thread involving choking on helicopter fuel, wishfull offered:
I just had made unnatural breathing because I inspired the helicopter fuel gas."
I though at first that this was an error in diction, but after I checked both the WRD and Merriam-Webster, I found that inspire is also listed as a synonym for "inhale." (but didn't offer any help as to whether it was transitive).

Memory being the second thing that goes with advancing age ;), I might be wrong, but I have no recollection of seeing inspire used to mean inhale.

In addition, the WRD accedes to the use of "expire" as a synonym of "exhale," I find that equally odd, since I normally consider that when a person "expires," he or she is defunct.

So, my question is: "Do you use, or have you seen common usage of, "inspire" meaning to "inhale?"

I look forward to inspired answers (although I probably shouldn't hold my breath :))

• cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    Without divine afflatus*, or artificial breathing devices, I quote Random House Unabridged:

Inspiration:

6. the drawing of air into the lungs; inhalation.

Inspire: (transitive and intransitive meanings)
    10. to take (air, gases, etc.) into the lungs in breathing; inhale.

Not surprisingly, it's also in a medical dictionary:

transitive senses
    : to draw in by breathing : breathe in : INHALE inspire the mucus down into its lungs —Fire Manual (Massachusetts)>

inspire intransitive senses
    : to draw in breath : inhale air into the lungs Merriam-Webster's Medical Dictionary, © 2002 Merriam-Webster, Inc.
    I've seen the verb used in these senses, but rarely, and only in medical contexts.

* Most any old dictionary: inspiration. ;)

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    You might also consider the traditional translation of 2 Timothy 3:16, 'All scripture is inspired by God', whereas newer translations try to keep closer to the Greek and render that 'All scripture is God-breathed'. This suggests breathing out rather than breathing in!

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    You might also consider the traditional translation of 2 Timothy 3:16, 'All scripture is inspired by God', whereas newer translations try to keep closer to the Greek and render that 'All scripture is God-breathed'. This suggests breathing out rather than breathing in!

Ah, those aspiring translators!

tmercyngrace

english-america
    The 2 Tim scripture being referenced does not mean that God is doing the inhaling(being inspired), but what it means is that God is exhaling and then people inhale (inspire) The result is scripture in the form of the "bible". Therefore we have all scripture is inspired, by God. People get inspired by God, receive the revelation that he gives to us...:)

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >