inspire youth, teach them their fitness mantra! [punctuation?]

< Previous | Next >

chivy64

india-hindi&english
Hi All,

Recently, One of my friends had posted a photo of an old couple running in a marathon and written below quote.

To the always young old couples who participate in Marathons to inspire youth, teach them their fitness mantra!

I was trying to understand the punctuation used here.Since above two sentences are an independent clause, there should have been a comma and a coordinating conjunction or semicolon. to join the sentences.
Kindly let me know if I am mistaken.

Thanks in Advance.

Last edited:
  • Copyright

American English
    It's not a lot different than "To Bill, happy travels." So I don't have a huge problem with it, especially in an online posting.

But I would probably use a dash rather than a comma for a bit of a drum roll effect (sort of a "wait for it" or "wait for the pay-off."

To the forever-young old couples who participate in marathons to inspire youth – teach them your fitness mantra!

But it's a bit of a mess, really. I don't think old couples are running marathons together to inspire young people. I think they're doing it because they want to do it ... to say "forever young." You need "your" because you're talking directly to these people. And "to inspire youth" leaves me a bit cold – I'm thinking "to inspire young people," but then you've got "young" earlier in the sentence. And finally, what is their mantra? Something left unsaid, and therefore unknown and a puzzle.

Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    Perhaps they are running marathons to prove to themselves that they are still youthful at heart. People say that you're only as old as you feel, after all.
    Given that the OP query was about punctuation, I wonder whether it would make more sense to punctuate after Marathon as well as after youth.
    The meaning would then be: "Dear young old Marathon runners, if you want to inspire youth, then teach them your secrets."

< Previous | Next >