installation group (mech. eng.)

brian

AmE (New Orleans)
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to find a good technical term for installation group, which is very much like an assembly, but with one crucial difference: an installation group is a group of related components (component parts of a machine) but you cannot fully assemble them until you attach them to the machine, which is part of the machine installation process.

Do you think I can say Installationsgruppe?? By the way, I can coin a term and define it if one does not already exist.

Thanks for your suggestions.

• Robocop

(Swiss) German
    I would rather use Bauteilgruppe (eine Gruppe von Bauteilen). Of course, you can also use Installationsgruppe in a given context after introducing and explaining the term.

berndf

German (Germany)
    Intuitiv würde ich Einbaugruppe sagen. Nach ein wenig Suchen habe ich hier ein Dokument gefunden, wo Einbaugruppe tatsächlich im Sinnen einer nachträglich resp. vor Ort zu installierenden Baugruppe verwandt wird.

brian

AmE (New Orleans)
    Thanks to the both of you.

The ideas or concepts of the two terms in English--assembly and installation group--are very, very similar, the main difference being that an installation group consists of components that cannot be assembled/installed until they are attached to the machine.

Fortunately, the two terms "assembly" and "installation group" are different enough in look, i.e. the actual words are quite different, that it's somewhat easy not to confuse the two.

I have the fear, however, that in German if I use Baugruppe ("assembly") and Einbaugruppe/Bauteilgruppe ("installation group"), two words that look very similar, it'll be difficult to keep them straight and not confuse them. Does that make sense?

That's kind of why I wanted to use Installationsgruppe, because it looks quite different from Baugruppe.

What are your thoughts?

Robocop

(Swiss) German
    The ideas or concepts of the two terms in English--assembly and installation group--are very, very similar, the main difference being that an installation group consists of components that cannot be assembled/installed until they are attached to the machine.
    Are you sure that the described distinction in meaning is commonly shared? I am much in doubt about it.

I understand that you are talking about a "large machine" on which they install various completed assemblies (Baugruppen) as well as individual parts or components. Apparently, the parts or components are grouped in various installation groups, probably according to function or sequence of installation, for example. In this context, Installationsgruppe or Komponentengruppe would be acceptable and comprehensible German terms.

berndf

German (Germany)
    I have the fear, however, that in German if I use Baugruppe ("assembly") and Einbaugruppe/Bauteilgruppe ("installation group"), two words that look very similar,...
    I think the difference between bauen und einbauen is almost exactly the difference between to assemble and to install in this context. I don't think I have to tell you that but, just as a reminder, verbs with the same root verb, like bauen, einbauen, verbauen, abbauen, etc., do not necessarily have similar meanings (though they may) and native speakers are quite used to regarding them as completely separate verbs.

brian

AmE (New Orleans)
    Are you sure that the described distinction in meaning is commonly shared? I am much in doubt about it.
    "Commonly" meaning outside this industry, or even outside this company? No. Assembly as described here is certainly common, but I think installation group is very industry- (maybe even company-) specific.

Robocop said:
    I understand that you are talking about a "large machine" on which they install various completed assemblies (Baugruppen) as well as individual parts or components. Apparently, the parts or components are grouped in various installation groups, probably according to function or sequence of installation, for example. In this context, Installationsgruppe or Komponentengruppe would be acceptable and comprehensible German terms.
    Yes, that's exactly it. If it's acceptable then, I will just go ahead with Installationsgruppe (I'll be defining it as well, so no problem if at first it's unclear to the reader).

I think the difference between bauen und einbauen is almost exactly the difference between to assemble and to install in this context. I don't think I have to tell you that but, just as a reminder, verbs with the same root verb, like bauen, einbauen, verbauen, abbauen, etc., do not necessarily have similar meanings (though they may) and native speakers are quite used to regarding them as completely separate verbs.
    Yes that's a good reminder. It's the same for us in English. For example, every native speaker would consider express and impress as completely different words, and many would not even realize that they are (etymologically, though not semantically) related.

Many thanks again to the both of you!

< Previous | Next >