instantaneous results vs instant results

< Previous | Next >

salai

Russian
Hello,
Happy New Year to you all!
Could you tell me pls what the difference is between instantaneous results and instant results.
Here is the example:
I get instantaneous results measuring some higher-level questioning. Students enjoy the ease in which they can complete an assessment. Further, we preview the survey before a particular lesson so they are aware of the essential question/objective. Thus far, a win-win for everybody.
Is it OK to use instead of instantaneous just instant?

Thank you in advance for your time and help.

• TimLA

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    Hello,

Could you tell me pls what the difference is between instantaneous results and instant results.

I get instantaneous results measuring some higher-level questioning. Students enjoy the ease in which they can complete an assessment. Further, we preview the survey before a particular lesson so they are aware of the essential question/objective. Thus far, a win-win for everybody.
    Interesting question.

Yes, I think you can use "instant" in this case.

The register of the paragraph is a bit informal (use of "get", "win-win") so you could also use "immediate".

"Instantaneous" to me is a bit more formal that "instant".

salai

Russian
    Hello TimLA,
    A happy New Year!
    In your comment you wrote: 'The register of the paragraph is a bit informal.'
    I tried to look up the meaning of the word register in an English-Russian dictionary; the only idea I arrived at is style.
    So, is it correct to paraphrase the register of the paragraph as the style, the way it is written is a bit informal.

Thank you in advance.

TimLA

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    Hi,
    Yes, I was referring to the "style" - the level of formality.

The use of "get" or "got" more often indicates in informal style, and some would say that "get" should not be used in formal texts.
    Also "win-win" more often than not is informal.

Those two little "hints" made me think that "instant" might sound better than the more formal "instantaneous".

< Previous | Next >