instead of walk or instead of walking

< Previous | Next >

Xom

Hungarian
An online reviser gave me the following revision of the sentence "Rabbits hop instead of walking.":
"Rabbits hop instead of walk."
Can somebody explain why "instead of walking" is not correct?
Thank you!

• Uncle Jack

British English
    It is because "walk" is intransitive. I have no idea why intransitive verbs repeat the same verb form after "instead of", whereas transitive verbs become gerunds:
    Rabbits hop instead of walk.
    Rabbits give birth to live young instead of laying eggs.​

lentulax

UK English
    An online reviser gave me the following revision of the sentence "Rabbits hop instead of walking.":
    "Rabbits hop instead of walk."
    More of a revisionist than a reviser? Anyway, he's wrong. 'hop rather than walk', 'hop, not walk', but 'instead of' is followed by a noun or noun equivalent.

Xom

Hungarian
    Thank you a lot for your answers. I suppose the use of the bare infinitive in case of intransitive verbs coming after "instead of" is outdated... This might be the reason for the fact that many English speakers don't find the bare infinitive correct...

Xom

Hungarian
    It is because "walk" is intransitive. I have no idea why intransitive verbs repeat the same verb form after "instead of", whereas transitive verbs become gerunds:
    Rabbits hop instead of walk.
    Rabbits give birth to live young instead of laying eggs.​
    Thank you a lot! Your answer makes everything clear!

Uncle Jack

British English
    Thank you a lot for your answers. I suppose the use of the bare infinitive in case of intransitive verbs coming after "instead of" is outdated... This might be the reason for the fact that many English speakers don't find the bare infinitive correct...
    It isn't the bare infinitive, but the present indicative.

Everyone else replying to this thread says that this usage is wrong, and I am sure they are correct - I tend to follow usage rather than rules. To me following "instead of" with a bare gerund sounds very odd indeed, but expressions such as "he walked instead of ran to the bus stop" are common enough (although grammatically incorrect, it would seem). I think lentalux in post #5 makes the best point, that "instead of" is really the wrong term to use.

Last edited:

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    A rabbit hops instead of walks.
    THe third person singular form with 's' shows that it's a finite verb form.

I know some people do use it rather than the gerund, but I think it's a minority usage. There was no need for the revision at all.

Someone did a bit of research on the matter (for BE at least) in another thread:

instead of making or make ?

Last edited:

Xom

Hungarian
    A rabbit hops instead of walks.
    THe third person singular form with 's' shows that it's a finite verb form.

I know some people do use it rather than the gerund, but I think it's a minority usage. There was no need for the revision at all.

Someone did a bit of research on the matter (for BE at least) in another thread:

instead of making or make ?[/QUOTE]

Thank you a lot!

< Previous | Next >