"instilling quality is built into..?"

urietsin

USA (American English)
Hello,

I'm in the process of helping my boss edit our Quality Manual and I stumbled as soon as I read the quality policy. I'm sure something's wrong with it, but I can't explain it. Please enlighten me.

"Building partnerships by honoring commitments, assuring customer requirements and delivery are exceeded, and instilling quality is built into every assembly."

Thanks!

• tepatria

Canadian English
    Instilling and building mean basically the same thing. Instilling quality into every assembly is what you are trying to say, I think. Ensuring that quality is built into every assembly is another way of putting this.

bibliolept

AE, Español
    Welcome, urietsin.

"Instilling quality is built into" seems redundant.
    Surely it would be enough to say "instilling quality into." Perhaps this should be something along th lines of "ensuring (that) quality is built into."

Porteño

Member Emeritus
    British English
    Instilling and building mean basically the same thing. Instilling quality into every assembly is what you are trying to say, I think. Ensuring that quality is built into every assembly is another way of putting this.
    Personally, I don't like instill in this context. I think your idea of ensuring that sounds much better and is more appropriate.

< Previous | Next >