Discussion in 'English Only' started by maraki35605, Feb 22, 2010.

  1. maraki35605 Senior Member

    Greece, Greek
    According to COBUILD dictionary an instructor is a university teacher of low rank in american english.

    Is there another word to describe the same thing in British English or do they use the same one?

    Thank you!
  2. Muwahid

    Muwahid Senior Member

    U.S. English
    Instructor is a general term, used for anyone who instructs. I never heard it used for a university teach of a low rank in my life.
  3. maraki35605 Senior Member

    Greece, Greek
    How then would you refer to a low rank university teacher with one word?
  4. panjandrum

    panjandrum Quondam Moderator

    Belfast, Ireland
    English-Ireland (top end)
    From the US Bureau of Labour Statistics:
    The ranks are instructor, assistant professor, associate professor, and professor. Colleges and universities usually hire new tenure-track faculty as instructors or assistant professors under term contracts.
    In the UK, the term is also used, especially in disciplines that have practical content. For example, see the reference to Dental Instructors at Newcastle University HERE and to EAP (English for Academic Purposes) Instructors at Durham University HERE.
  5. Andygc

    Andygc Senior Member

    British English
    But for more academic subjects, the junior teachers would normally be called lecturers. In specific fields, such as human anatomy and chemistry, the dissection room or laboratory practical teachers are called demonstrators.
  6. maraki35605 Senior Member

    Greece, Greek
    thank you for your contribution. It was very helpful to me.
  7. sdgraham

    sdgraham Senior Member

    Oregon, USA
    USA English
    Additionally, at least in my day, some classes were led by teaching assistants, (graduate students) familiarly called TAs (tee-aze). See HERE.

    Note, however, that no matter what the level of the person grading your papers, they all will severely penalize you for failing to capitalize American English.

Share This Page