Instrument indications, ignoring any contrary physical sensations

< Previous | Next >
  • Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    In this example, the word implicit has meaning 3 from your dictionary.
    Particularly with qualities like trust and faith, we use implicit to denote trust that is complete, almost blind.
    Here it means that you should trust what the instruments are telling you, even if they are contradicting what your other senses are telling you. It sounds like it might be in the context of flying a small airplane in a spin.

moseen

Farsi
    Particularly with qualities like trust and faith, we use implicit to denote trust that is complete, almost blind.
    Here it means that you should trust what the instruments are telling you, even if they are contradicting what your other senses are telling you. It sounds like it might be in the context of flying a small airplane in a spin.
    I got it.
    Thank you very much for such very good help.

moseen

Farsi
    Excuse me, here does "instrument" mean "tool"?

Andygc

British English
    It sounds like it might be in the context of flying a small airplane in a spin.
    No. Not spinning. There you have to work out what the instruments are telling you, and it is not always easy (am I the right way up, or inverted, and which way is the spin?)

The important thing to remember is to have implicit faith in the instrument indications, ignoring any contrary physical sensations.
    That is the standard advice for normal instrument flying - ie, flying when there is poor external visibility. I could lecture you for 2 or 3 hours on the physiology of disorientation in flight - I used to do it for pilots.

moseen

Farsi
    No. Not spinning. There you have to work out what the instruments are telling you, and it is not always easy (am I the right way up, or inverted, and which way is the spin?)

That is the standard advice for normal instrument flying - ie, flying when there is poor external visibility. I could lecture you for 2 or 3 hours on the physiology of disorientation in flight - I used to do it for pilots.
    Thank you very much for such good example.

< Previous | Next >