Instrument panel padding

Aventador LP700-4

Persian
What does " instrument panel padding " mean in this context?

For example, the instrument panel padding appears to "float" in between the wood grain panels, the center console incorporates a "wave pattern" and large door armrests and assist grips combine to give passengers a feeling of comfort and peace of mind.

Source:
Nissan Intima Concept Press Kit: Overview

I know what is meant by instrument panel but the word " padding " causes trouble!

• sdgraham

USA English
    WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2017
    pad1 /pæd/ n., v., pad•ded, pad•ding.
    n. [countable]
    1. a mass of soft material used for comfort or protection, for applying medicine, or for stuffing:
    See also: Padded Dashboard

Myridon

English - US
    From your link:

All the things that are light brown are made of softer materials which are (or seem like they are) padded in comparision to the hard surfaces like the dark brown, wood-grain panels, the silver metal pieces, etc.

Scott AM

English - Canada
    All of the clarifications given are correct in my view. But I think the wording here is poor. The instrument panel padding has a wood-grain panel on one side of it only - it does not "float in between" panels at all.

Aventador LP700-4

Persian
    Yes, the wording is very poor because the text hasn't been written by a native speaker. Could you please tell me which part of the interior they are referring to as " Instrument Panel " in this car?

Blue or red?

nissan_intima_concept_08.jpg

Scott AM

English - Canada
    The red arrow points to the instrument panel in your photo. It contains instruments such as a speedometer, tachometer, clock, fuel gauge, engine temperature gauge, ammeter, "door ajar" indicators, etc. Sound system controls and climate controls, as indicated by the blue arrow, are not "instruments".

Aventador LP700-4

Persian
    Yes, I know the red one is the instrument panel in all cars but in this case it says " floats in between wood grain panels ". So, blue one must be the instrument panel in the text!

Scott AM

English - Canada
    The text says it's it's the instrument panel padding that floats, not the panel itself. As explained previously, the instrument panel padding is the padded material that surrounds the instrument panel - the panel indicated by the red arrow.

I think the writer mistakenly added, or mistranslated the bit about "floating". Easier to believe that, than to believe that the writer doesn't know what an "instrument panel" is.

< Previous | Next >