insult vs mimicry vs ridicule

< Previous | Next >

Lun-14

Banned
Hindi
Hi,

COULD you explain the difference between "insult", "mimicry" and "ridicule" please?

I could not bear the ridicule/mimicry/insult that I was became an object of by John at the Jeremy's birthday party.

Thanks,

• Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    could not bear the ridicule/mimicry/insult that I was became an object of by John at the Jeremy's birthday party.
    What are you trying to describe in your sentence? If you can provide some context that helps us understand what happened to the speaker, we can help you decide which word is best in your sentence.

Lun-14

Banned
    Hindi
    What are you trying to describe in your sentence? If you can provide some context that helps us understand what happened to the speaker, we can help you decide which word is best in your sentence.
    Suppose I have a long beard, and other people who're in the party are completely without beard (beardless). They make fun of my beard by moving their hands on their chins and thus laughing themselves unkindly and in a scornful way.

DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    Of your three suggestions, I would call that ridiculing. "They were ridiculing me for my beard".

DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    Could you please explain the difference between these three?
    To "ridicule" is what you've described in post #5.

To "mimic" is to deliberately copy somebody's accent or style of speech.

To "insult" is to make rude or disparaging comments.

< Previous | Next >