insurance through other state

tufguy

hindi
Sarah lives in New Mexico and is insured from Massachusetts. Do we need to say "She has insurance through other state"?

• Barque

Banned
    Tamil
    What insurance are you referring to? Why is identifying the state where she took out an insurance policy relevant?

Barque

Banned
    Tamil
    Because I wanted to give context.
    Context is supposed to make your question clearer. Context is the reason for mentioning the state. How does mentioning the state make a difference? Or, to put it another way, why do you want to refer to the state?

Last edited:

tufguy

hindi
    Context is supposed to make your question clearer. Context is the reason for mentioning the state. How does mentioning the state make a difference? Or, to put it another way, why do you want to refer to the state?

It was just a sentence. I wanted to know what should be said in this case. There was no other reason of mentioning the name of the states.

Barque

Banned
    Tamil
    I wanted to know what should be said in this case.
    In that case, you could say what you said in #3.
    She has a health insurance policy from Massachusetts whereas she lives in New Mexico.

But my point is that it's unnatural because people don't just say random sentences. They usually have a reason for saying something. This isn't limited to English. It applies equally while speaking Hindi or any other language.

tufguy

hindi
    In that case, you could say what you said in #3.

But my point is that it's unnatural because people don't just say random sentences. They usually have a reason for saying something. This isn't limited to English. It applies equally while speaking Hindi or any other language.

I need to know this for a reason. I would like to know what would they say. Sorry Barque I am not nullifying your efforts you helped me a lot thanks for this.

Where are Americans?

tufguy

hindi
    Sleeping, or waiting for the context Barque requested. (For what it's worth, I agree with all of Barque's comments so far.)

Can we also say "She has an insurance through other state" or "She is insured in/from other state"?

pob14

American English
    We don't say "an insurance." "Insured in another state" would imply that the insurance is invalid in her home state. "Insured from another state" isn't wrong, I guess, but sounds strange to me. I suggest you use your phrasing in #3.

Myridon

English - US
    We really would like to know your source and context for this sentence.
    As far as I know, no one has individual health insurance through another state. It's something that Trump suggested a few weeks ago.

tufguy

hindi
    We really would like to know your source and context for this sentence.
    As far as I know, no one has insurance through another state. It's something that Trump suggested a few weeks ago. It probably won't happen.

You don't know it happens. I was asked this question by someone who lives in the USA.

Packard

USA, English
    I have New York based health insurance. If I travel far from New York I may find it hard to locate a health care provider that will accept my insurance. That is the only reason I can imagine mentioning the location of the insurance plan.

Indeed, our insurance plan is metro-New York based, and when I moved 60 miles north of New York only one medical group would honor my health care plan.

Later on, and just for a while, there were several medical groups that would honor it, but they all merged into one mega-medical group. So I am back to one medical group.

Barque

Banned
    Tamil
    I was asked this question by someone who lives in the USA.
    What question?

No offence but you seem to think we can read your mind. We can't.

You initially said you just wanted to know how to say this. Now you mention someone from the US who said something about this. This is what we mean by context.

tufguy

hindi
    What question?

What is done if an out of state claim gets denied?
    What question?

No offence but you seem to think we can read your mind. We can't.

You initially said you just wanted to know how to say this. Now you mention someone from the US who said something about this. This is what we mean by context.

I didn't say anything related to sentence. You told me about the way it should be said. I asked you whether it can be said like this as well "She has an insurance through other state" or "She is insured in/from other state" or not?

Barque

Banned
    Tamil
    I didn't say anything related to sentence. You told me about the way it should be said.
    Your original question asked how you should word a sentence referring to having insurance from another state. I asked you why you wanted to say it, and since you didn't seem to have any reason, I said that your wording in #3 seemed all right.

What's the connection between this and your original question?

Last edited:

Myridon

English - US
    Now we need context for the question (and why she thought you might possibly know the answer to a question about such a complicated issue).
    The insurance that she has obtained in New Mexico has denied a claim for a service performed in Massachusetts.
    or
    Last year, she lived in Massachusetts and obtained insurance there. During this year, she moved from Massachusetts to New Mexico, but did nothing about transferring her insurance. The insurance she obtained in Massachusetts has denied a claim for a service performed in New Mexico.
    or something else.

tufguy

hindi
    Your original question asked how you should word a sentence referring to having insurance from another state. I asked you why you wanted to say it, and since you didn't seem to have any reason, I said that your wording in #3 seemed all right.

What's the connection between this and your original question?

Nothing.

I just wanted to know whether through could be used there or not.

Myridon

English - US
    Nothing.

I just wanted to know whether through could be used there or not.
    "She has insurance through another state." is grammatically correct and seems to make some sense. We don't know if it's semantically correct or fits the context.
    In some states, you can obtain health insurance under the Affordable Care Act by going through the healthcare marketplace website of the state that you live in. In other states, you go through the federal healthcare marketplace.

Sparky Malarky

English - US
    The question is, who is providing Sarah's insurance? Is it the Commonwealth of Massachusetts? Does she telecommute, and work for a company in Massachusetts? Does she buy private insurance from a private company? But although she could buy it in New Mexico, she buys it from a branch in Massachusetts? Does she buy it on the Massachusetts Affordable Care Act Exchange?

The problem is that the insurance situation in the US is so complex that unless we understand exactly what the situation is, we can't even give good grammatical advice.

Sarah has insurance through her husband, who works in another state.
    Sarah has insurance through her employer, who is based in another state.

There are a lot of possibilities.

andrewg927

English - American
    It's not common as far as I know to buy health insurance in a state different than the one you live in. I know there have been talks about buying insurance across state lines but I'm not sure that's a reality yet. Also usually when we talk about health insurance, we mention the insurance company (through United Healthcare, for example) or through your employer or Medicare/Medicaid. United Healthcare for example may be based in Minnesota but they sell insurance all over the US.

WyomingSue

English--USA
    I think in a context-free environment, the best statement would be that she lives in New Mexico but her insurance carrier is based in Massachusetts.