intake counsellor

< Previous | Next >

rzezucha

polish
I can't really understand who an intake counsellor is but for sure there is a profession like this. Perhaps some of you are familiar with it or can understand better. The context doesn't say much:

'Getting in touch with professionals who can provide such referrals might mean calling a university psychology clinic or a community mental health center or the intake counselor at your health care organization.' A. Christensen 'Reconcilable differences'

• Andygc

British English
    The spelling makes it clear that it's AE, which is just as well because it seems meaningless in BE. By that I mean that we don't have a job called 'intake counsellor' and if we did it would probably be a fancy name for an unqualified dietitian.

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    Getting in touch with professionals who can provide such referrals might mean calling a university psychology clinic or a community mental health center or the intake counselor at your health care organization.
    Well, I'm American, and I'm not sure what's meant here either. I guess this follows a discussion of some sort of mental or emotional problem in the text from which you quote. I understand "university psychology clinic" (although I doubt most schools provide such services for other than their own students) and "community mental health center". I'm not sure about "health care organization" (an insurer? a physician network? but these aren't physical locations) or what an "intake counselor" might be (the admitting official for inpatients at a mental health facility?).

rzezucha

polish
    I thought that health care organization would be something like health care centre especially that the author uses 'your" before that... So he says: if you seek professional help (the whole part is about finding a good therapist) the best way is to get in touch with professionals who can refer you somewhere and in order to do that you might have to call all these institutions or organizations. This is a self-help book for regular people who seek couple therapy so how can they know where to go if 'intake counselor' is not so obvious...Thanks for help anyway!

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    This is a puzzlement. I looked up the book to find the nationality of the author and publisher of Reconcilable Differences. Andrew Christensen is American (he teaches psychology at a university in California) and so is the publisher, which Amazon lists as Guilford Press. But the book cannot be found in a search of the Guilford Press website, although a second edition was said to have been published just five months ago (the first edition was 1999); that's very strange.

Linkway

British English
    This is a puzzlement. I looked up the book to find the nationality of the author and publisher of Reconcilable Differences. Andrew Christensen is American (he teaches psychology at a university in California) and so is the publisher, which Amazon lists as Guilford Press. But the book cannot be found in a search of the Guilford Press website, although a second edition was said to have been published just five months ago (the first edition was 1999); that's very strange.
    See:
    http://www.guilford.com/books/Reconcilable-Differences/Christensen-Doss-Jacobson/9781462502431

sdgraham

USA English
    I seriously doubt that "intake counselor" is a "profession."

"Intake" is bureaucratic jargon for entering a "system."

Thus it seems that this particular instance of stultifying jargon refers to some sort of "counselor" assigned to interview/counsel people entering the mental health system.

From the text provided, we have no idea whether it's a trained and qualified mental-health professional, or just somebody with a handful of forms telling new arrivals where to find the WC and removing sharp-edged items, belts and shoelaces from their possession.

< Previous | Next >