integrated/built-in fridge

< Previous | Next >

wolfbm1

Polish
Hello.

My sister would like to have a bigger fridge, but she cannot, because she has got a fitted kitchen and her fridge is built-in/integrated.
She would have to rebuild the cabinet where her current fridge is.

I wonder if the adjectives built-in and integrated are synonymous. Which one is more commonly used?

Thank you.

• PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    They are pretty much synonymous - the words are marketing tools - integrated sounds more expensive than built-in. :)

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    ...with the rest of the kitchen - it usually implies that the door of the refrigerator has a matching kitchen unit door stuck onto it.

A built-in one may or may not.

Last edited:

Myridon

English - US
    My post was not a reply to your post. Integrated with the rest of the kitchen would make us picture it being integrated with the sink, the dishwasher, the garbage disposal, the coffee maker,... Bad food goes directly down the drain. Dirty dishes are diverted to the dishwasher. ;)
    I'm not getting "matching door" from the OP, only "exactly fitting into the space provided."

wolfbm1

Polish
    I would like to explain that when I said "fitted" I meant "built-up with matching cupboards and cabinets."
    It is interesting to know that "integrated" in that cotext is not used in the US.

Myridon

English - US
    ... and "fitted" means "sized" not "matching."
    Something that is "built-in" doesn't have to match. I have built-in bookcases. They are stained wood, not covered with wallpaper to match the walls.

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    Integrated with the rest of the kitchen would make us picture it being integrated with the sink,
    No, it would not. Integrated, is used to mean "integrated aesthetically into the overall or main design/decoration/concept."

I suspect a BE/AE difference.

< Previous | Next >