Integrated solutions

Jean05

Ireland, English
Hi all,

What are 'integrated solutions'? Can you give me an example of what an integrated solution might be?

Here's the sentence: "The process will be supported with integrated solutions by the project".

I think this means on-going support throughout a programs lifecycle that emphsize the main goal of the program, am I right?

Thanks
Jean

• virtdave

english, USA
    integrated in this context is a bit like pro-active in the sense that both are often found in gobledegook management reports. It probably is supposed to imply that the solutions will fit well and broadly with their intended purposes.

Jean05

Ireland, English
    Funny the way it's 'solutions' though. Like instead of integrated processes or integrated support systems or something like that?!

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Hello again Jean,
    Is the overall project going to use software from a number of different suppliers? In that context, a proposal could sensibly say that the project would be supported by integrated solutions. I would expect it also to explain how the contractor would secure the required degree of integration.

That's the sensible bit. The sentence you quoted ...
    The process will be supported with integrated solutions by the project.
    ... is really horrible. I hope it isn't your own:) - but it sounds as if you are trying to translate this stuff from English into common sense. The kind of sentence I might accept to convey what I think is the original meaning...
    The project will ensure (ICT) support for the new business processes by integrating a number of different solutions (from ....).

Jean05

Ireland, English
    panjandrum said:
    Hello again Jean,
    Is the overall project going to use software from a number of different suppliers? In that context, a proposal could sensibly say that the project would be supported by integrated solutions. I would expect it also to explain how the contractor would secure the required degree of integration.

No software, but collaboration with a number of different organisations - yes, is that essential for it to be integrated?

That's the sensible bit. The sentence you quoted ...
    The process will be supported with integrated solutions by the project.
    ... is really horrible. I hope it isn't your own:) - but it sounds as if you are trying to translate this stuff from English into common sense. The kind of sentence I might accept to convey what I think is the original meaning...
    The project will ensure (ICT) support for the new business processes by integrating a number of different solutions (from ....).

Not my own, but I am trying to translate this stuff into common sense, so that I can apply these strategies to my own task.
    What is ICT?
    The rephrasing does make sense actually.
    Cheers
    Jean

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    ICT = Information and Communications Technologies, an update on IT if you like. Sorry, it has been the UK Government term for this stuff for five years or so and I forget it isn't known everywhere.

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    Panj has put you on a good track. Here is some more background:

Can you give me an example of what an integrated solution might be?
    I once designed a software application for managing transportation...at the nearly tail end of order fulfillment.
    The software had a customizable interface that hooked it into the OP (Order Processing) system of any company, so that the 'ship-to' address and lots of other details came directly from an existing customer/order file. When the warehouse shipping clerk sent a package, that interface updated the order record with the name of the carrier, the service used, actual and rated weight, and a gob of other stuff that was generally keyed in manually before the 'integrated solution' was installed.

It was an integrated solution in the sense that--although it was a fairly small application in the grand scheme of the customer's IT environment-- it became an extension of the existing enterprise software. A non-integrated solution would have required that the order record be printed, sent to the warehouse, and then sent back to order processing for the manual addition of all the shipping data.

nycphotography

American English
    Jean05 said:
    Here's the sentence: "The process will be supported with integrated solutions by the project".

This absolutely appalling sentence might make more sense written as follows:

The process will be supported with [multiple and/or third party] solutions integrated by (within) the project.

In other words, the purpose of the project is to "integrate" multiple disparate solutions into a single seamless process. As indicated by cuchu above.

One would think that an MBA, having no real productive skill to contribute, would at least bother to learn to write sensible documents in their own native language.

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    nycphotography said:
    One would think that an MBA, having no real productive skill to contribute, would at least bother to learn to write sensible documents in their own native language.

NYCP-

Why do you assume the gobbledegook was written by an MBA? Most any buffoon employed by a business, government agency, or so-called educational organization seems able to produce linguistic slop these days. Supposedly professional writers, employed by all the media, seem prone to the same foolishness.

Your loyal resident MBA,
    Cuchu

nycphotography

American English
    cuchuflete said:
    NYCP-

Why do you assume the gobbledegook was written by an MBA? Most any buffoon employed by a business, government agency, or so-called educational organization seems able to produce linguistic slop these days. Supposedly professional writers, employed by all the media, seem prone to the same foolishness.

Your loyal resident MBA,
    Cuchu

Personal prejudice experience???

Point taken.
    Not all MBA's are vermin (cockroach-like behaviors notwithstanding). Neither are most technical types capable of writing sensible english.

I still find that most bularkey comes from mba / suit / stuffed shirt types, but yeah, this sentence is maybe not bularkey.

<shuffling off to take my meds>

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    NYCP-

Just read a fundraising solicitation from the artsy types of your choosing...then bend over the porcelain, and try to remember that there is still plain talk out there....somewhere... we hope.

Then listen to wine writers wax eloquent over their adjective-laden libations. If you can still control the tendency of your eyeballs to counter rotate, talk with an IT (remember lil' ol' data processing) worker.

Not all photographers are F-stops either, though I've met a few who are highly over-pixelated:D Pompous obfuscating jargon is everywhere.

nycphotography

American English
    cuchuflete said:
    NYCP-

Just read a fundraising solicitation from the artsy types of your choosing...then bend over the porcelain, and try to remember that there is still plain talk out there....somewhere... we hope.

Then listen to wine writers wax eloquent over their adjective-laden libations. If you can still control the tendency of your eyeballs to counter rotate, talk with an IT (remember lil' ol' data processing) worker.

Not all photographers are F-stops either, though I've met a few who are highly over-pixelated:D Pompous obfuscating jargon is everywhere.

In the case of art, wine, food, movie, cultural, and social critique and commentary, there is so little of any substance that can be said in the first place that they have to wax eloquent and blustery in order to fill the column inches.

But business stuff should pretty much stick to meat and potatos and leave the eloquent description of the dessers out of it. Should. But of course isn't.

If you took offense to my distaste for MBA's then I'll apologize... although I still tend to think of them as the oppressors of humanity rather than the oppressed. ;-)

nycphotography

American English
    maxiogee said:
    NYCP
    "bularkey" - is this a conflation of "Bull" and "Mallarkey"? I like the sound of it.

Yanno, I made up the word myself... bull hockey + malarkey.

Now I look on google and see that I'm not the first to use it. Humph.

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    NYCP- Between the two of us, is there any profession we have yet to trash? We both lean towards Strunk & White. If you want to hate MBAs, that's cool with me. Check the contributions from Fenixpollo and myself in the thread on Jargon.

:)cuchu:D

Kelly B

USA English
    nycphotography said:
    I still tend to think of them as the oppressors of humanity rather than the oppressed. ;-)
    Well, as most of them are stuck somewhere in the bowels of middle management, they are frequently both. Is it any surprise, then, that so many of them make up for this with verbal diarr... obfuscatory loquacity?