intellectual cachet and hot press

< Previous | Next >

joh2001smile

Chinese
Hello,
What does the " intellectual cachet or hot press " mean here? I know a hot press means a machine applying heat in conjunction with mechanical pressure, as for producing a smooth surface on paper or for expressing oil, but I don't know what intellectual cachet means, and I wonder what the author is trying to talk about by "intellectual cachet or hot press "?

For the last five decades, most thinkers have described business success in terms of competition. We talk about market share and competitive advantage, we use dozens of sports metaphors--- all about winning and losing. The other line of thought---serving customers---has never had the intellectual cachet or hot press of the competition model.

• DesertCat

inglese | English
    We talk about market share and competitive advantage, we use dozens of sports metaphors--- all about winning and losing. The other line of thought---serving customers---has never had the intellectual cachet or hot press of the competition model.
    hot press implies that it's not talked about much (think of the latest news hot off the press)
    intellectual cachet implies that it's not prestigious

DesertCat

inglese | English
    I'll try. Basically, you can talk about business success in terms that are very descriptive and flowery using metaphors or sports terminology (often baseball terminology is used) or you can simply say business success is due to good customer service (a straightforward concept).

So, the author is saying that the simple concept of "customer service" isn't very sexy or newsworthy.

Does that help? :)

< Previous | Next >