Intellectual discourse

< Previous | Next >

translation lover

Arabic
Hi, I'm working on a confidential file, but I didn't fully understand this sentence:

Since the debut of its first collection in 1986, the Armand Basi brand has embedded its style and fashion offerings within a framework of intellectual discourse based on social commentary.

Can someone help me please understand it?

Thank you.

• translation lover

Arabic
    Ok, but can u explain the sentence as a whole please? :)
    What do they mean here by offerings? Are they the collections? And do they mean by social commentary making comments on social cases?

ewie

English English
    Ok, but can you explain the sentence as a whole please? :)
    What do they mean here by offerings? Are they the collections? And do they mean by social commentary making comments on social cases?
    I presume you won't be using the word 'u' in your translation. Please don't use it here either.

suzi br

English / England
    Well it sounds like marketing speak gone crazy, how can anyone make sense of talking about a few clothes as an intellectual dicourse?

As for your supplementary quetions:
    Offerings ? This would refer to the fashion items: yes.
    Social commentary? Like the concept of intellectual discourse it is not easy to link this with fashion. I imagine the way to understand this is embedded in the whole piece you have extracted this from. There must be some clarification of how the brand is supposed to be so intellectual in there.

translation lover

Arabic
    Here's a bigger context:

Since the debut of its first collection in 1986, the Armand Basi brand has embedded its style and fashion offerings within a framework of intellectual discourse based on social commentary. The brand's original taste for avantgarde artistic references has evolved side-by-side a dynamic sense of aesthetics, a natural consequence of the desire to be on the cutting edge.

Thus, what was initially a passion for design, with an eye on Russian constructivism and other art and design movements of the 20th century, gave way to an interest in Eastern aesthetics and thought, which emphasizes finding the true essence of things. Antagonistic tensions between nature and man's intervention in it, with architecture as the materialization of human activity, were the logical consequence of this analysis of the essential and have inspired both fashion collections and the creation of the brand's fragrances.

Is it possible now to deduce something out of this?

Thank you

suzi br

English / England
    If you have to translate it you will have to just use the same words in another language and not worry too much about what it means!

pwmeek

English - American
    in a framework of intellectual discourse based on social commentary I think that Armand Basi is likening their collection to "a give-and-take interaction with potential buyers about society as a whole". (As ewie said: Advanced Tripe.)

< Previous | Next >