1. doinel

doinel Senior Member

Southern France
    France French
    Bonjour,
    On m'a traité d'intello repenti et je trouve l'expression très drôle en fait!
    Je pourrais en tirer un alias ;)
    L'ennui c'est que j'aimerais la traduire en anglais et que je n'ai pas trop d'idées.
    Former? geek, nerd, egghead...
    Merci de votre aide,
    doinel
    Bonnes fêtes à tous.

2. Uncle Bob Senior Member

Hungary
    British English
    Hello,
    The main problem is that I don't think there is an English equivalent for "intello" and even the English "intellectual" doesn't correspond to the French one (which can cover anyone from a writer to a professor at the Collège de France to a schoolteacher).

Last edited: Dec 22, 2010
  3. Moon Palace

Moon Palace Senior Member

Lyon
    French
    Maybe a contrite nerd / high-brow ?

4. Uncle Bob Senior Member

Hungary
    British English
    How about "a convert to brainlessness" (only to be used about oneself)?

5. doinel

doinel Senior Member

Southern France
    France French
    Voilà qui m'ouvre des horizons, mais pas forcément les portes du Collège de France.
    Merci à vous tous.

6. BAlfson Senior Member

Oklahoma City
    USA - anglais
    In America, it is assumed that a person who is an alcoholic never can escape that syndrome. They call themselves "recovering alcoholics" and avoid all alcohol consumption. In this sense, I'd call you "a recovering intellectual," and, if I understand the French correctly, I think that has the exact sense you're looking - the implications include Uncle Bob's great "a convert to brainlessness."

Cheers - Bob

7. Suehil

Suehil Medemod

Tillou, France
    British English
    Someone who used to be a Catholic and has thought better of it is called 'a lapsed Catholic', so maybe 'a lapsed intellectual'.

8. dasubergeek Senior Member

English - US; French - CH
    BAlfson has it right... I'd translate it as "recovering nerd".

9. BAlfson Senior Member

Oklahoma City
    USA - anglais
    I would have expected you to be true to your name, dasubergeek! ;)

I may not understand the connotations of the new (to me) term intello. Does it imply social maladroitness like geek and nerd?

Cheers - Bob

10. Michael_B

Michael_B Senior Member

Nice, France
    French
    Yes, even if it's not true.

'intello' is quite pejorative, an intello is a bookworm, someone who spends waaaaaay too much time reading and studying instead of going out, having fun.. so everyone mocks him.

He's not necessarily smart though, meaning he doesn't always do good in math or physics. He never skips class, never ever forgets his stuff, always kisses the teacher's ass, doesn't let you look over his shoulder to copy his answers, sticks around after class to complain about his grades if they're not good enough etc..

Of course I'm exaggerating, but you get the idea.

11. doinel

doinel Senior Member

Southern France
    France French
    Thank you all,
    Michael_B, I'm glad I'm recovering.
    The bookworm you're depicting should wear glasses and use words nobody knows !!!

12. BAlfson Senior Member

Oklahoma City
    USA - anglais
    So, maybe geek is a better word to use as it has stronger connnotations of such behavior.

Anyway, much fun, thanks to doinel for such an enlightening thread!

Cheers - Bob

13. dasubergeek Senior Member

English - US; French - CH
    I would use "nerd", especially in AE. "Geek" has become less pejorative over the last twenty years, and has taken on the meaning of "maven".

14. BAlfson Senior Member

Oklahoma City
    USA - anglais
    And, I was going to say that nerd has become less pejorative! ;) In any case, geeky and nerdy both still have the desired connotations, but you'd need to change the expression a bit to use either.

Cheers - Bob
    PS I think geek as "maven" first appeard in 2009, but you're right that it's in broad use now - just google: food geek blog

15. broglet

broglet Senior Member

London
    English - England
    just what I was thinking ... or 'lapsed geek' perhaps, depending on the context
    bonnes fêtes à tou(te)s

16. Havfruen Senior Member

USA
    English - American
    nerd in recovery?

17. WillHelpIfICan Senior Member

Paris
    English - UK
    I would steer clear of "geek" and "nerd". Beware of dictionary translations!

Neither term comes close to the meaning of intello as given by doinel.

18. JeanDeSponde

JeanDeSponde Senior Member

France, Lyon area
    France, Français
    I happen to disagree here - Intello is pejorative short for intellectuel, which simply means someone mainly interested in cerebral matters, eventually to excess.
    The intellectuel will rather have a book then watch the game, own the full Woody Allen's opus instead of the Rambo compendium.

Note that intello is a relative word - it means actually more intellectual than me (replace me by you in your case). Just like riche: un riche est quelqu'un plus riche que moi...

I remember the late cycling champion Laurent Fignon: he had been nicknamed l'intello because he had passed the baccalauréat (quite an achievement, within the pack!) and wore round glasses.
    On est toujours l'intello de quelqu'un !

Last edited: Dec 23, 2010
  19. WillHelpIfICan Senior Member

Paris
    English - UK
    Doinel, I'm fascinated by the juxtaposition (of intello and repenti) in this expression. Unfortunately, I'm at a complete loss as to its precise meaning.

Could you expound a bit more?
    1/ "intello", what meaning does the term convey in this context
    2/ "repenti", does this mean that (they think) you are ashamed of your "intello" status (similar to the rich that are ashamed of their wealth) or that you are pretending (faire semblant) /claiming (revendiquer) in or way or another not to be "intello" or sth else. Do let us know.

On an altogether different note, "Je pourrais en tirer un alias", does this mean that you could use this as your alias (in lieu of dionel)?

20. Xilomen

Xilomen New Member

Algeria
    Arabic, French, English
    Werenerd (à ne pas prendre au sérieux) cela pourrait faire un bon pseudo!

21. BibioO Senior Member

San Francisco
    French - France
    How about Braintito, I just made it up as I was looking up the translation of "repenti" on wikipedia.

"Pentito" came out, it "designates people in Italy who, formerly part of criminal or terrorist organizations"

So I came up with this pun. What do you think ?

22. Jasmine tea

Jasmine tea Senior Member

Corsica, France
    French - France
    I have "ruminé" (!!!) on this "intello repenti" since yesterday...!
    And I do agree with WillhelpifIcan, asking for clarification.

Because, I do understand the word "intello" as JeanDeSponde explains it.

So, I find something that helped me through :
    "Les Filles repenties, ou, simplement, les Repenties, nom donné à des monastères de femmes où des filles qui ont vécu dans le désordre se retirent ou sont renfermées pour faire pénitence". (site du Français Littré)

So, an "intello repenti" fait pénitence for his being an intello! et se renferme encore plus?...!!!

It is even stronger than the idea of "recovering" nerd/geek etc.!

23. Suehil

Suehil Medemod

Tillou, France
    British English
    So it would be 'a reformed clever-clogs', then.

24. doinel

doinel Senior Member

Southern France
    France French
    I've been called 'intello repenti' many times by different people. The phrase went like this ' espèce d'intello repenti' I have seen Annie Hall over 30 times but / and I love ' Die Hard' ( Jean De Sponde you got it right!)
    Will , you really helped me ...
    I didn't expect my question to get so many answers and I'm having great fun here. I love werenerd.
    Thank you all.

25. Xilomen

Xilomen New Member

Algeria
    Arabic, French, English
    Pas de quoi!