Intend / Mean

gothicpartner

Spanish
Is there any difference between two verbs or are they synonymous?

for instance:

I didn't mean to hurt you= I didn't intend to hurt you= no tenía la intención de lastimarte/herirte

I didn't mean to kill him = I didn't intend to kill him= no tuve la intención de matarlo

She intends to visit my country= She means to visit my country

meant for= intended for= destinado para ???

I´ll appreciate your help

• ChinitaBoba

English, Spanish, American Sign Language
    Yes...the two words are synonymous.

I did'nt mean to call you.

I didn't intend to call you.

It gives the idea that the person didn't plan on doing something or acting on something.

gothicpartner

Spanish
    Intend no es como "Think" [ pensar en hacer algo] describiendo algo neutro. es decir, pensar en hacer algo aunque no nos guste

mean no es como " want" [ querer hacer algo] describiendo algo con un deseo, osea con proposito, con ganas, intención, con gusto??

what´s your opinion?

Thanks!

UVA-Q

México - Español
    creo que en tus oraciones ambas se traducen como intención
    I didn't want to hurt you = (para mí, más coloquial)
    I didn't intend to hurt you = (para mí, más formal)
    Ambas se pueden traducir :
    No era mi intención lastimarte
    No quise lastimarte

gothicpartner

Spanish
    creo que en tus oraciones ambas se traducen como intención
    I didn't want to hurt you = (para mí, más coloquial)
    I didn't intend to hurt you = (para mí, más formal)
    Ambas se pueden traducir :
    No era mi intención lastimarte
    No quise lastimarte

This is a good piece of information..!

mad1

English - US
    One place where they are not interchangeable is in definitions:

correct: "Desarrollo" means development.
    incorrect: "Desarrollo" intends development.

in the first statement, "means" indicates that the first word "has the meaning" of the second word.

the second statement is unlikely to ever occur, but would imply that the noun "desarrollo" was sentient, and had its own motives, and that it was planning development.

When in doubt, use "mean" because it fits in more places and is less formal.

But look out for these other meanings:
    mean: antipático/a (rude, ornery, grumpy)
    means: wealth, ability, advantage
    meaning: significance, connotation

Intent can also mean obsessed. Like: "the cat is intent on catching the mouse."

Oh my. English can get complicated, even for a native English speaker. I hope I have provided some insight and not just muddied the waters.

tormentaderanas

English - Midwest US
    I have just a small comment on this old thread, which may or may not be interesting. I think that Cases 1 and 2 below are different senses of the words "mean" and "intend".

(1)
    I didn't mean to hurt you= I didn't intend to hurt you= no tenía la intención de lastimarte/herirte
    (2)
    She intends to visit my country= She means to visit my country
    In Case 1, both "mean" and "intend" sound perfectly normal to me ("intend" is a bit more formal sounding). However, Case 2 seems different. For some reason, I don't think we use "mean" for things that have not yet happened--at least in the Midwest US. I don't think you will hear people say "She means to visit my country". However, "She intends to visit my country" seems normal, if a bit formal. "She means to visit my country" sounds like something out of Lord of the Rings to me (like it has a whimsical or archaic feel to it). Actually, I think Bilbo says "In fact, I mean not to" in regards to him returning to the Shire in the first movie. I don't know--maybe British people use "means" like this all the time.

TromboneGirl

English - America
    I have just a small comment on this old thread, which may or may not be interesting. I think that Cases 1 and 2 below are different senses of the words "mean" and "intend".

(1)

(2)

In Case 1, both "mean" and "intend" sound perfectly normal to me ("intend" is a bit more formal sounding). However, Case 2 seems different. For some reason, I don't think we use "mean" for things that have not yet happened--at least in the Midwest US. I don't think you will hear people say "She means to visit my country". However, "She intends to visit my country" seems normal, if a bit formal. "She means to visit my country" sounds like something out of Lord of the Rings to me (like it has a whimsical or archaic feel to it). Actually, I think Bilbo says "In fact, I mean not to" in regards to him returning to the Shire in the first movie. I don't know--maybe British people use "means" like this all the time.

I think "She means to visit..." sounds quite normal, but replacing "means" with "wants" may be a bit more casual and commonly used.

Oujmik

UK
    British English

(1)

(2)

Yes, in everyday usage it's unusual to use 'mean to' for future events. It sounds a little old-fashioned and formal. However, when used for past events 'mean to' is very common and informal. Strange but true.

TromboneGirl

English - America
    Yes, in everyday usage it's unusual to use 'mean to' for future events. It sounds a little old-fashioned and formal. However, when used for past events 'mean to' is very common and informal. Strange but true.
    Oh, that's definitely true. For example, you could definitely say, "I meant to visit you some time over the summer," or something like that, and it sounds very casual and normal. I didn't think of that! :D

< Previous | Next >