intends to, is going to

tonino37

french
Hello,
I'd like to say that things are going to happen, to be done
ex: he is going to play and dance in the evening

My try: er soll spielen und tanzen am Abend
Is it correct? Isn't there another way to express ' intention'?
Thanks for your replies.

You would not use 'soll' here. If you really want to express intention you have to say:

Er hat am Abend vor zu spielen und zu tanzen. [This underlines 'intention' more than the English sentence does. It is more like 'He intends to play and dance this evening.']

'Er wird heute Abend spielen und tanzen.' sounds more neutral.

Dan2

US
    English (US)
    Hi Tonino. Welcome to WRF.

Just a word on the English: The basic meaning of "be going to" when followed by a verb is to mark the verb as future tense. There need be no intention:
    Watch out! That tree is going to fall! (Trees have no intention.)
    John is going to be very disappointed when he finds out that the play has been canceled. (He doesn't even know yet about the cancellation.)

Turning to your sentence, I would say that the basic meaning of "John is going to dance tonight" is "John dance-future tonight". It could be his intention to dance, but he might not even be aware that he's going to dance - I may be planning a surprise party for him.

So you should be more specific to get a correct German translation.

(Crossed with Resa, who also sees this ambiguity.)

tonino37

french
    Thanks to both of you Resa and Dan2
    More specifically, I wanted to say that something is planned
    In English I would say He will dance tonight or he is going to .................. but Dan2 says it's incorrect.
    er wird tanzen = he will dance?
    soll = should ?
    Sorry for my poor English and my even poorer German.

Sowka

Forera und Moderatorin
    German, Northern Germany
    Hello everybody :)

I think if someone else made the plans (let's say for Bill Kaulitz ;)), I'd say: "Heute Abend soll hier Bill Kaulitz spielen und tanzen".

If the guy simply intended to play and dance, then I'd say: "Heute Abend möchte er (dort/in der Diskothek/im Jugendzentrum) spielen und tanzen". *)

I somehow feel that an indication of the place is needed. Otherwise, the sentence sounds a little funny to me.

*) Or Resa's suggestion: "Er hat am Abend vor..."

Last edited: