Intentó darle un golpe mortal

< Previous | Next >

Girlnterrupted

Mexican Spanish
Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone could help me with this.

"Intentó darle un golpe mortal"

Context: A man tried to kill another one by throwing an arrow at him.

My attempt: "He tried to give him a deadly blow"

I'd appreciate if anyone could correct me or suggest a better choice of words.

Thanks.

• Vela

España; Español
    You might want to change the verb too. "He tried to deal/inflict a deadly blow" sounds much better than "give".

ivb8921

Spain Spanish
    Can you really say "a blow" when this is dealt by throwing an arrow? Wouldn,t it be better to use "a shoot" or someting similar. I´d actually rather say in spanish "un tiro/disparo" rather than "un golpe".

donbeto

Eng (Canada)
    Good point ivb, although you don't throw an arrow (usually), you shoot it.

Shoot is a verb, present tense. Shot is the same verb, past tense, and is also a noun.

So I think the word we are looking for is shot, maybe fatal shot.

Mexico RV'er

English - USA
    Can you really say "a blow" when this is dealt by throwing an arrow? Wouldn,t it be better to use "a shoot" or someting similar. I´d actually rather say in spanish "un tiro/disparo" rather than "un golpe".
    I see your point; however, in the original post Girl gave the Spanish expression which used golpe, and unless I misunderstood her, she was trying to find the best way to say it in English. The context mentions trying 'to throw" an arrow. Arrows are shot, not thrown, but I am assuming this is simply a difference in language and expression, and I understood her to mean that the arrow was shot.

While the expression "to deal a deadly blow" does seem strange once you analyze it, it is commonly used and appropriate in this sense. I believe Girl can be comfortable with the translation she originally gave to it. In American English we would not deal someone a deadly shoot or simply a shoot. We could change the sentence to be more clear and say something like, "He almost killed him with that shot," but it really is correct as it stands.

< Previous | Next >