intention

navi

Banned
armenian
Are these sentences both correct:

1-I didn't bring my computer here for you to use it. I brought it to use it myself.
2-I didn't bring my computer here so you would use it. I brought it to use it myself.

• Eddie

USA - English
    Hi, Navi!

Speaking only from the point of view of American English. Both sentences would be considered incorrect by English teachers.

Pronouns are traditionally defined as taking the place of previously mentioned nouns. If the noun is still mentioned, then the prounoun is superfluous.

The sentences should read as follows:

I didn't bring my computer here for you to use, I brought it to use myself. (more correctly, ... to be used by myself)
    I didn't bring my computer here so you would use it, I brought it to use myself.

Ed

lsp

NY
    US, English
    Eddie said:
    I didn't bring my computer here for you to use, I brought it to use myself. (more correctly, ... to be used by myself)
    "...to be used by myself" sounds wrong to me. What's the rule you're applying?

te gato

Alberta--TGE (te gato English)
    navi said:

1-I didn't bring my computer here for you to use it. I brought it to use it myself.
    2-I didn't bring my computer here so you would use it. I brought it to use it myself.
    Hello navi;
    They are both ok.. I would change them a little ...
    1. 'I didn't bring my computer here for you to use. I brought it to use it myself.'
    2. 'I didn't bring my computer here so you could use it. I brought it to use it myself.'
    Also you can remove 'it' as well if you wish...
    te gato;)

leenico

U.S.A. english

1-I didn't bring my computer here for you to use it. I brought it to use it myself here for my own use.
    2-I didn't bring my computer here so you would use it. I brought it to use it myself here for my own use.
    The way it was written sounds clumsy to me. I would have written it somewhat as shown. ;)

te gato

leenico said:
    The way it was written sounds clumsy to me. I would have written it somewhat as shown. ;)

1-I didn't bring my computer here for you to use . I brought (it) here for my own use.
    2-I didn't bring my computer here so you would/could use it. I brought (it) here for my own use.

Hello leenico;
    You would have to leave the It in..
    te gato;)

leenico

U.S.A. english
    Hello leenico;
    You would have to leave the It in..
    te gato
    A thousand pardons te gato. My fat fingers sometimes lose the point where they should be. ;) :p

gaer

US-English
    navi said:

I would do it this way:

I didn't bring my computer here for you to use. I brought it to use myself.

OR

I didn't bring my computer here for you to use. I brought it for myself.

Gaer

lsp

NY
    US, English
    Eddie said:
    Hello, Isp!

... to be used by me would be even better; but as a New Yorker, you know that myself often substitutes for me.

Ed
    Ah...OK. Thanks, Ed. It's a pet peeve of mine, sorry - I can't help myself!! (That was unintentional, believe it or not! :D )
    Lsp

LizzieUSA

USA, English
    Eddie said:
    Hello, Isp!

... to be used by me would be even better; but as a New Yorker, you know that myself often substitutes for me.

Ed

I think that to be used by myself is stylistically, if not grammatically, incorrect. Here, it sounds like you're saying "to be used alone" (in solitude), when you mean "for me to use" (and no other). People often use the reflexive pronoun (myself, himself, herself, itself) when the object pronoun (me, him, her it) would be more appropriate; it's a form of hypercorrection.

See? My professor learned me English real good! :D

lsp

NY
    US, English
    LizzieUSA said:
    I think that to be used by myself is stylistically, if not grammatically, incorrect. Here, it sounds like you're saying "to be used alone" (in solitude), when you mean "for me to use" (and no other). People often use the reflexive pronoun (myself, himself, herself, itself) when the object pronoun (me, him, her it) would be more appropriate; it's a form of hypercorrection.

Yes. That's exactly what I was (ineptly) trying to say. Thanks, Lizzie.

gaer

US-English
    LizzieUSA said:

I wish we could start a thread about this. I bought it for me, I bought it for myself. Is there a rule about this? Is one wrong and the other right?

I would also say "used by me" in the sentence you are talking about, but in other cases it's not at clear.

It's humbling to me that I starting "hanging out" in these threads to help other people, and now I'm finding you how much *I* don't know. :)

Gaer

te gato

gaer said:
    I wish we could start a thread about this. I bought it for me, I bought it for myself. Is there a rule about this? Is one wrong and the other right?

I would also say "used by me" in the sentence you are talking about, but in other cases it's not at clear.

It's humbling to me that I starting "hanging out" in these threads to help other people, and now I'm finding you how much *I* don't know. :)

Gaer

Hi gaer;
    Since you asked..here is a link to the "ME---MYSELF" question you had..

http://www.drgrammar.org/faqs/#34

I found it quite interesting..
    te gato;)

gaer

US-English
    te gato said:
    Hi gaer;
    Since you asked..here is a link to the "ME---MYSELF" question you had..

http://www.drgrammar.org/faqs/#34

I found it quite interesting..
    te gato;)
    I'm a bit foggy tonight. Most of what I read was about sentences, wrong, that I would not write or say.

But according to what I scanned, apparently I should say:

I bought it for me, not, I bought it for myself

I'm not sure that idea was covered, or if it covered the example I just gave you.

It seems that the first way, according to the site, is the only right way.

Gaer

jacinta

USA English
    Sorry msjcott. I'm pushing buttons where I shouldn't. I'm not sure how I did that but I meant to quote you instead of edit. We don't have a reflexive tense in English.