interesse didattico

Eratostene L'Alchimista

Italia, Italiano
Hi to all,

can you please help me with the translation of this italian sentence?

"In ogni caso, il nostro interesse verso questa cosa non è solamente didattico, poiché..."

My attempts:

"However our interest in this thing is not just didactic, because..."
"However our interest in this thing is not just as a matter of study, because..."

I don't like the first one because it looks too much "Italish" to me, and I don't like the second one because I'm writing a scientific paper and the term "study" has a wider use than just "theching and learning" (which is what I mean with "didattico"): this is an introduction to my research work and I want to express the fact that I'm talking rather deeply about a well known thing not just to do some theaching stuff, but because that thing will be widely used in my very work. I don't want to use the term "study" because my actual work is a "study" as well, but I don't know how to show the difference.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Eratostene

EDIT: I thought to another possible translation:

"However our interest in this thing is not just for knowledge sake, because..."

but i don't like this one too...

• london calling

UK English
    What do you think about academic? If I understand rightly, you're saying that your interest in not merely academic, as you will in fact actually apply this "thing".

By the way, I'd avoid using the word "thing": what exactly are you referring to? A method or something like that?

Eratostene L'Alchimista

Italia, Italiano
    What do you think about academic? If I understand rightly, you're saying that your interest in not merely academic, as you will in fact actually apply this "thing".

By the way, I'd avoid using the word "thing": what exactly are you referring to? A method or something like that?

Thank you! Academic is perfect!

I used the word "thing" only in this forum, because it was useles to write what I was talking about: i won't use it in my real work :p . By the way, the "thing"I was referring to is the Brusselator, a set of theoretical chemical reactions.

Thank you again :)

Eratostene