Interesting and entertaining

yoku

latviešu valoda
Hello all!

There is no real background here. I was just talking to myself (have no one to talk in English) when those words came up.

I have thought about the difference between those synonyms since they are used together quite often. Google gives about 533 000 results on them.

On my own I have tried to write sentences where one of those words is used with "not" before it. I could only came up with the only one very primitive and maybe wrong - "Studies are interesting but not entertaining", like I am interested in studies but they don't entertain me. If that example is awkward but still possible I could live with that. As for something that is entertaining but not interesting I were unable to come up.
I guess, "entertaining" includes "interesting" and not vice versa. Hereby, to my surprise, I just have answered my own question. But anyway maybe I answered it wrong...

Thanks in advance for any thoughts!

• cyberpedant

English USA, Northeast, NYC
    "Entertaining" implies to me a certain quality of "fun." There are things I might find "interesting"—the famine in Africa, for example, which I might better describe as "a matter of concern," but which I wouldn't find "entertaining."

yoku

latviešu valoda
    Thanks!
    So one can say that something is interesting and not entertaining, but cannot say the other way around?
    By that I mean if someone can come up with such sentence where "entertaining" and "not interesting" are used.

Last edited:

yoku

latviešu valoda
    Yes, but in that case it is like someone suggests to other that it might be entertaining for him but not for the person who suggested it. So it is like two sentences, if you understand what I mean.
    And thanks for your example!

< Previous | Next >