Interesting Times

winnie

italy, italian
i have some trouble with this sentence:

by criminy, it’s jolly well time to save the world, and no two ways about it!

a loose translation might be:

pergiove (perbacco), è proprio giunto il tempo di salvare il mondo, e non ci sono due modi per farlo!

do you agree with me or am i completly wrong?

help needed

ciao,
winnie

• lsp

NY
    US, English
    "No two ways about it" means there are not two possible opinions, or options. In other words - no choice but to do it (in this case, to save the world).

Silvia

Italian
    winnie said:
    by criminy, it’s jolly well time to save the world, and no two ways about it!
    Che caspita, è venuto il momento di salvare il mondo una volta per tutte, o così o così!

Che ne dite?

Panpan

England, English
    'Criminy' - I think the author - Terry Pratchet - coined this word. As the discworld is a fantasy world that roughly paralels our own, this might be a reference to a phrase sometimes used in English to express suprise; 'Jiminy Cricket!'. (However, this is old fashioned, and you are unlikely to hear it).

I have no idea why the name of a character from Pinochio should have ever been used to express suprise though!

Panpan

mirandolina

Scotland - English
    He's only the cricket in Disney's "Pinocchio". In the original Italian he's just called "il grillo parlante", the talking cricket.
    I don't know whether the use as an expression of surprise predates Disney or vice versa.... !:)

Panpan said:
    'Criminy' - I think the author - Terry Pratchet - coined this word. As the discworld is a fantasy world that roughly paralels our own, this might be a reference to a phrase sometimes used in English to express suprise; 'Jiminy Cricket!'. (However, this is old fashioned, and you are unlikely to hear it).

I have no idea why the name of a character from Pinochio should have ever been used to express suprise though!

Panpan

ikester

US - American English
    Panpan said:
    Criminy is much older than Terry Pratchet... it actually comes from the Italian word crimine.

This term, and many others are euphemistic interjections used by people rather than saying "Jesus Christ!":warn: please see note below.

A number of different phrases, many of which have the initials J.C., or sound similar to "Jesus", "Christ", or "Jesus Christ" are used in this manner. A few examples:

Cheezums
    Jeepers
    Cripes
    Judas Priest
    Cheese and rice
    Jiminy Cricket

and many many more.

HTH

:warning: (I neglected to note when I originally posted this that using the name of Jesus Christ as an exclamation is horribly offensive to many people. That is the reason for the euphemistic replacement terms.)

< Previous | Next >