Interests in data warehouse and data mining are welcomed

howwouldyousay?

Italian
I'm writing a PhD scholarship proposal that will be posted on an international mailing list. I'd say that applicants should be interested in these topics (data warehouse and data mining), even if they don't have specific competencies. If I write: Interests in data warehouse and data mining are welcomed, is it clear?

• Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    If I write:
    Interests in data warehouse and data mining are welcomed.
    Is it clear?
    I would use data warehousing to mean the general subject, rather than "data warehouse".

A suggestion: "Interests" can also mean financial shares or investments, so that might be misunderstood to mean that you want people who have such investments. I think you could avoid such a possibility if you changed that to "An interest . . . is welcome." But my concern may be needless; see what others think.

pertranint

Urdu
    You could write "Applicants interests in data warehousing and data mining should be aroused" or "Applicants should be keen to learn about data warehousing and data mining"

sdgraham

USA English
    You could write "Applicants interests in data warehousing and data mining should be aroused" or "Applicants should be keen to learn about data warehousing and data mining"
    I would not.

"Applicants interests in data warehousing and data mining should be aroused"

This is stilted, a bit awkward and might have sexual overtones with "aroused."

"Applicants should be keen to learn about data warehousing and data mining"

"Keen" is too informal in this context.

pertranint

Urdu
    I would not.

"Applicants interests in data warehousing and data mining should be aroused"

This is stilted, a bit awkward and might have sexual overtones with "aroused."

"Applicants should be keen to learn about data warehousing and data mining"

"Keen" is too informal in this context.
    So what do you think should be the answer to their question?

Egmont

English - U.S.
    I agree with the above, especially Parla's correction in the first sentence of post 2.

My version would be "Applicants should be interested in data warehousing and data mining."

(As a separate suggestion, not related to the language issues, you might want to mention big data with Hadoop, MapReduce, etc., as a related, more current research area. Mentioning only data warehousing and data mining suggests that this research is stuck in the late 1990s or early 2000s.)

< Previous | Next >