internal loyalty...seems to <trump integrity

NewAmerica

Mandarin
Does integrity here refer to "honesty and being firm in your moral principles"?

The word impressed me with "academic integrity" because the background is UNAIDS, where scholars are abundant there. But second thought brought me to the conclusion above.

Thanks in advance

Sexual harassment and abuse—the sinister underbelly

This week, The Lancet, publishes a Special Report on allegations of sexual harassment and abuse at UNAIDS. The report suggests that UNAIDS has at best marginalised and at worst buried allegations of sexual harassment. <.......> Furthermore, internal loyalty to the existing leadership seems to trump integrity in the organisation, and has contributed to a culture devoid of transparency and accountability.

-The Lancet

Source (PDF)

• JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    I am puzzled by your comment "The word impressed me with "academic integrity" because the background is UNAIDS" - can you say that another way?

Integrity int the sentence has the meaning you expected:
    in•teg•ri•ty (in tegri tē), n.
    1. adherence to moral and ethical principles;soundness of moral character;honesty.

NewAmerica

Mandarin
    Thank you. :)

I am puzzled by your comment "The word impressed me with "academic integrity" because the background is UNAIDS" - can you say that another way?
    Rewording:

The word integrity has impressed me with the meaning of being "academic integrity." The reason that I have such impression is that the harassment happened/happens in UNAIDS, which is a department where a lot of scholars work there. But my second thought led me to scrutinize the impression, and concluded that it should have meant "honesty and being firm..."

NewAmerica

Mandarin
    Not so special. Academic integrity refers to integrity in academic background - specifically in the context of the pursuit of scholarly activity.

< Previous | Next >