international brands

Kacy.H

Chinese
Hi, people. I don't want to use "western-style clothing" because I have used it so I used "international brands". Is it correct to compare "clothing" with "brands"? Many thanks!

Traditional Indian clothing is being replaced by international brands.

• Kacy.H

Chinese
    This sentence is good. Most western-style clothing that is sold in India is made by international companies.
    Thank you. I understand this. But in terms of grammar, you usually say "clothing is replaced by clothing. Why is "clothing is replaced by brands" correct? Can "brands" roughly mean "clothing" ?

dojibear

US English
    Well, if you want to be picky about grammar :D, you need to think about what your words actually mean.

Traditional Indian clothing is being replaced by international brands.

What does "international brands" mean in this sentence? It means "international brand name clothing".
    It means clothing of the type that international brands create. So it means clothing, not "brands".

And what does "is being replaced by" mean? Does it mean people throw away some clothing and replace it with other clothing? No! It means "The most common kind of new clothing worn in India is changing. It used to be traditional Indian style clothing. Nowadays it is a different style of clothing -- the kind of clothing manufactured by international brands."

So the sentence means that one clothing-wearing habit (of a billion people) is being replaced by a different habit.

dojibear

US English
    If you aren't comfortable using words-with-different-meanings, you have to say "western-style clothing". I don't know any other noun phrase that has this meaning.

You still have to deal with "is replaced by", which isn't literally true. Nobody in India is throwing out their saris and other Indian clothes and replacing them. A clothing-style change is happening.

Myridon

English - US
    I feel fairly certain that you can buy traditional Indian clothing that is made in other countries so "international brands of clothing" doesn't really tell me that you mean "western-style clothing."