Interpreter or student?

< Previous | Next >

Sextus

Spanish
"I think it is important to bear in mind that the coexistence of such at least apparently irreconcilable attitudes poses a problem with which the student of any of S’s writings, and not only of AD v, is faced."

Should I rather say "interpreter" instead of student?

Sextus

• judkinsc

English, USA
    Student means "one who pursues the knowlege of", while an "interpreter" is simply the translator. It depends upon your desired connotation.

Irreconcilable differences would pose more of a problem to the student than to the translator.

Sextus

Spanish
    So, in the following case, it seems that it's better to use "student" as well, don't you think?:

"Second, even if one accepts that from the Skeptic’s point of view the distinction in question is completely futile, I do not think this should prevent an interpreter with an interest in understanding the Pyrrhonean outlook from trying to determine what defines it."

Sextus

Kelly B

USA English
    I know I'm usually an advocate of fewer words rather than more, but here I'd use "one who studies" which, oddly enough, has a different feel to it from "student."

Or perhaps "scholar," although I'm not entirely certain that I like the phrase "a scholar of [S's writings].

"I think it is important to bear in mind that the coexistence of such at least apparently irreconcilable attitudes poses a problem to one who studies any of S’s writings, not only AD v."

judkinsc

English, USA
    Yes, student in the second example as well.

"student" does have a sense of loyalty/adherence to the object studied. If you wish to avoid that connotation, see KellyB's advice above.

boonognog

English (U.S.)
    I agree with KellyB as re: the first example. For the second example, why not just say 'someone' or 'those':

"...I do not think this should prevent those with an interest in understanding the Pyrrhonean outlook from trying to determine what defines it."

< Previous | Next >