interventionist Fallacy

Nastya1976

Russian
Hello.
What is "interventionist fallacy", please?

Worse was that it led to something truly dangerous: operational half-heartedness. The no-fly zone saved Benghazi from what might have been extensive killings, but Britain then slid into every interventionist fallacy.
In Libya, Britain has slid into every interventionist fallacy | Simon Jenkins

What all this suggests is that we need to pay more attention to studying ourselves – the interveners – rather than focusing exclusively on those “out there” in whose lives we intervene... Afghanistan is a case in point. Surely no one with the slightest understanding of that country and its history could have thought that the strategy pursued by ISAF from 2003 onwards had any chance of success? .... And so the interventionist fallacy persists, and we continue to believe we can achieve more than we actually can. Will somebody please bring on the child who is not afraid to tell us the truth?
The Interventionist Fallacy | Politics @ Surrey

But we are firmly opposed to interference in other countries' internal affairs by using the human rights issue, firmly opposed to the neo-interventionist fallacy about “human rights transcending over sovereignty,” firmly opposed to applying double standards on the human rights issue, and firmly opposed to pursuing hegemony and power politics under the guise of human rights.
hmanrights

+ from googlebooks

• Egmont

English - U.S.
    Intervention is when one country involves itself in another country's affairs.

Some people believe that is a good thing to do, at least sometimes.

Mike Aaronson, the blogger who wrote this, calls this belief a "fallacy." That is, he thinks those people are wrong.

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    What is "interventionist fallacy", please?
    The word "fallacy" is used in logic to indicate an erroneous procedure of some kind: a procedure of faulty logic.

For example:

The fallacy of scale: A: "If I take one aspirin, my headache will be a little better, if I take two aspirin, my headache will go. Therefore if I take 100 aspirin I will feel marvellous."
    The fallacy of bare assertion: an argument is assumed to be true because it says it is true. "It is true that the earth is flat."
    The fallacy of affirming the consequent: if A then B; if B therefore A.

< Previous | Next >