.... into a family of noble standing

Hello!

Tycho Brage, a Danish astronomer, was born in Denmark into a family of noble standing.

First of all, I would like to know why "into" is used here instead of "in", which also seems correct to me. We normally say, for example, "I was born in a rich family" or "He was born in a family which was famous all over the city". Besides, does "noble standing" mean the same as "noble origin"?

Thanks a lot!

• timpeac

English (England)
    Hello!

Tycho Brage, a Danish astronomer, was born in Denmark into a family of noble standing.

First of all, I would like to know why "into" is used here instead of "in", which also seems correct to me. We normally say, for example, "I was born in a rich family" or "He was born in a family which was famous all over the city". Besides, does "noble standing" mean the same as "noble origin"?

Thanks a lot!
    No - that's not right. We would normally say "I was born into a rich family" and "he was born into a family which was famous all over the city". The idiom is "born into" not "born in". "Standing" means repute rather than origin.

entangledbank

English - South-East England
    I agree that 'in' would seem to be the obvious way of saying it, but we actually say 'into'. We also say 'to' in: He was born to noble parents. Perhaps that's the reason? Also more generally: he was born into a privileged position.

Hermione Golightly

British English
    Hello Dmitri
    I am not at all sure exactly what "noble standing" means. It sounds rather vague. Why not say he was born "into an illustrious noble family".

:)
    Cheers
    Hermione

Hello Dmitri
    I am not at all sure exactly what "noble standing" means. It sounds rather vague. Why not say he was born "into an illustrious noble family".

:)
    Cheers
    Hermione
    I do not really know, Hermione :) That is the author to ask because I have read it in one of the books on astronomy telling us the story about Tiho Brage. As a learner I am interested to know how modern the phrase is and whether or not it is used correctly in the context given.

Thanks a lot!

< Previous | Next >