Intonation

< Previous | Next >

tenderlion

french
Hello everyone,
Can anybody help me find the appropriate intonation of the following (rising or falling intonation) and explain to me if there is any difference which occurs:
1. Could u speak more slowly, please?
2. Can you speak louder, please?
3. Can you say that more clearly please?
4. Could u go less quickly, please?
Thank you

• Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    Welcome to the forum, Tenderlion. :)

I am not certain what your concern is.

However, I can say that there is no difference between the way we say "you" and the way we say "u", when it replaces "you". Was that your question? If not, please write out words in full in this forum. We don't use abbreviations.

I think that when I make these requests, I tend to emphasize the important words:
    more slowly; louder; more clearly; less quickly.
    I say them more slowly, and articulate them more carefully.

timpeac

English (England)
    I'm not completely sure I understand the question either. In every case, for me, the intonation is a rising tone from the start up to the adverb and then the final "please" said on a lower tone.

Loob

English UK
    It's horrendously difficult to discuss intonation in writing, tenderlion.

I think there would usually be a rise in tone (as one aspect of emphasis) on the elements highlighted in red:
    1. Could u you speak more slowly, please?
    4. Could u you go less quickly, please?

Then we would go down on the blue parts, and revert to a tone half-way between the blue and the red on the green ones.

But that's just my take - and as I said, it's very difficult to try to describe intonation:)

Forero

There are several ways to say these sentences, some taking them as questions, others taking them as requests, but I think all the same intonations apply to all four.

The first way I imagine saying them, but certainly not the only way, is with a rising pitch with Loob's red syllables lower and the blue and green syllables higher.

tenderlion

french
    First I thank those who cared to answer my threat and I do apologise for my mistake concerning the 'u' instead of 'you' in two of the sentences I wrote. The question was whether I have to use a rising or falling intonation. Is there any rule concerning intonation of polite requests? Thank you

Forero

You could start with a "'scuse me" or "pardon me", with a lower but rising tone on the "me". Don't use a falling tone on please. That would would sound either "commanding" or "pleading".

swannny

German
    I think there would usually be a rise in tone (as one aspect of emphasis) on the elements highlighted in red:
    1. Could u you speak more slowly, please?

4. Could u you go less quickly, please?

Then we would go down on the blue parts, and revert to a tone half-way between the blue and the red on the green ones.
    Why is "please" in GREEN, I did not really understand ?

< Previous | Next >