< Previous | Next >

kanadaaa

Japanese (Tokai)
Hi, I have a question about the intonation of the following sentences:

(1) It seems that John is happy.
(2) It seems like John is happy.

The most natural intonation for these are

3.PNG

like this, right? (not sure if like can be pronounced as weak as that)
Then, is it possible to pronounce it as strong as the other content words, like:

2.PNG

Thank you for your help in advance.

• Slater1768

Banned
    English
    Well, the "it" is definitely not a stressed word in that sentence. You could even leave it out in speech, but not in writing (seems like John is happy). "Like" is also not a stressed word, but unlike "that", the pronunciation of the vowel of which is reduced to a neutral vowel, an unstressed pronunciation of "like" isn't reduced down to that extent.

kanadaaa

Japanese (Tokai)
    Thanks Slater.
    So there's no difference between when "that" is used and when "like" is used?
    Also, there's no difference even when "like" is replaced with "as though" so we have the sentence:

(3) It seems as though John is happy.

like this?

Slater1768

Banned
    English
    I think you can say all three, but I personally would not say "seems like". Your third option would be what I would choose.

Slater1768

Banned
    English
    "As though" is unstressed in that sentence. The "is" can either be stressed or not, depending on what you mean.

It seems as though John is happy - this sounds like you're correcting someone who has just said the opposite.
    It seems as though John is happy - you're asserting he is happy, without laying special stress on the "is".

< Previous | Next >