introductory phrase for 'to explain or elaborate'

Pidginboy

India-Local dialect
I am looking for an introductory phrase for a sentence to follow a complex statement.

An example is given below.

A proper mix of these sources of financing discriminate an effective finance function from an ineffective one. To clarify, what can be financed by a less expensive debt should not be financed by share capital.

I am doubtful about 'to clarify'.

• Illuminatus

India, Hindi, English, Marathi
    The first sentence is written in a way that does need clarification!

I would use:
    In other words,

Simply put, (I would avoid it if it is a official document, which it seems like)

To clarify doesn't seem right to me because it says that you are aware that the first sentence is not clear enough, which may be avoided in an official document.

Also, I would prefer using: ... that which can be financed ...
    When I started reading that part, I thought it was a question due to the what

estefanos

English - USA
    A proper mix of these sources of financing discriminate an effective finance function from an ineffective one. To clarify, what can be financed by a less expensive debt should not be financed by share capital.
    In addition to Illuminatus' comments, I would like to point out that discriminate could be improved upon. Firstly, A proper mix . . . discriminates (number). Furthermore, discriminate means to distinguish between, which requires more awareness than that possessed by a mix of financing sources. I'd suggest differentiates:

A proper mix of these sources of financing differentiates an effective finance function from an ineffective one.

< Previous | Next >