intrude upon

meramli

turkish
Finally, Islamic fundamentalism has shown an unusual degree of persistence during the last century and in previous eras, with a cyclical propensity to intrude upon the sociopolitical process to shape its evolution.

What does 'intrude upon' mean?

Last edited by a moderator:
  • meramli

turkish
    still not clear for me... what does excatly mean by to intrude upon the sociopolitical process to shape its evolution.

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    Hello, meramli.

The phrase you are asking about means that Islamic fundatalmentalism manages, from time to time, to have a great influence on society and the political systems that govern society. This sentence by itself does not tell us the means by which fundamentalism achieved this influence. I have found a copy of the book, and it shows that there is a footnote (1) on this line. If you look at that footnote, it may tell you what sort of thing the author has in mind.

Note: We ask you to name the source of every quotation. This time I'll do it for you, but next time it will be your turn. This is the sort of thing we are asking for: :)
    Source: Islam in Revolution: Fundamentalism in the Arab World by R. Hrair Dekmejian (1995)

A link can be helpful, if it is available, but we don't require it.
    This is a link to the passage on Google Books:
    Islam in Revolution: Fundamentalism in the Arab World
    (The link may not work for everyone, depending on the copyright laws where they are, and other things.)

< Previous | Next >