inventore di varie sorti di smalti, la cognizione de’ quali non fu mai appo gli antichi

Allicsirp

English - England
Hello, can you please help me? I am translating a book on mosaics and micromosaics...
Provenzale “fu (...) inventore di varie sorti di smalti, la cognizione de’ quali non fu mai appo gli antichi, fra’ quali quel bellissimo smalto rosso in corpo, che è cosa meravigliosa, e d’ogni sorta di color di carne bellissimo smalto rosso in corpo, che è cosa meravigliosa, e d’ogni sorta di color di carne bellissimi
Provenzale “was [...] inventor of various types of enamels, the knowledge of which was never learned???? by the ancients, among which that most beautiful enamel red in body???? which is something marvellous, and every sort of beautiful skin tint.

I am having problems translating two words "appo" - is it an abbreviation for appreso?? and also the color of the mosaic enamels: rosso in corpo

Please put only the ORIGINAL sentence in the title, thanks.
How to choose a thread title

• MintSyrop

Italian
    Ciao, "appo" è arcaico, si direbbe "presso" in italiano moderno. "Rosso in corpo" invece lo intendo come "rosso corposo, forte, intenso" (però su quest'ultimo punti attendi altre conferme perché non ne sono altrettanto sicuro).

Haltona

Italian
    "Appo" is an archaic word for presso, in your context something like unknown in the ancient times.

As for "rosso in corpo" I think it means "opaque/solid red" (as opposed to transparent). I found here a reference that seems to point to that conclusion.