Inversion with 'would'

HSS

Standard Japanese, Sendaian Japanese
Hi, I was just thinking how inversion works.

Do the following sound okay?

[1] Under your purview would the shelving of newly arrived magazines fall.
[2] Under your purview would fall the shelving of newly arrived magazines.
[3] Under your purview would on-going responsibility for the integration of all revolving titles back into the system.
[4] Under your purview would fall on-going responsibility for the integration of all revolving titles back into the system.

It would be better to simplify the questions:

How about the following?
[5] Into the building would the vehicle run
[6] Into the building would run the vehicle.
[7] Into the building would the vehicle have to run.
[8] Into the building would have to run the vehicle.
[9] Into the building would you have to run.

Many thanks for your enlightenment.

Hiro/ Sendai, Japan

• envie de voyager

english-canadian
    First of all, let's not forget question marks on your questions.

[1] Under your purview would the shelving of newly arrived magazines fall?
    [2] Under your purview would fall the shelving of newly arrived magazines?
    [3] Under your purview would on-going responsibility for the integration of all revolving titles back into the system?
    [4] Under your purview would fall on-going responsibility for the integration of all revolving titles back into the system?

In the first four sentences (above), I'm not quite sure what your questions are asking, but numbers 1 and 3 are grammatically correct, numbers 2 and 4 are wrong.

[5] Into the building would the vehicle run?
    [6] Into the building would run the vehicle?
    [7] Into the building would the vehicle have to run?
    [8] Into the building would have to run the vehicle?
    [9] Into the building would you have to run?

All five of sentences might be possible in some odd form of poetry, but no one would ever say any of them, ever.

HSS

Hi.

All my sentences are NOT meant to be questions; they are meant to be statements --- inverted statements.

Do they stand okay as they are?

Hiro

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    Hi, I was just thinking how inversion works.

Do the following sound okay?

[1] Under your purview would the shelving of newly arrived magazines fall. NO, the lexical verb (fall) is separated too far away from the auxiliary verb (would)
    [2] Under your purview would fall the shelving of newly arrived magazines. YES
    [3] Under your purview would on-going responsibility for the integration of all revolving titles back into the system. I don't understand this sentence. Has it got a lexical verb?
    [4] Under your purview would fall on-going responsibility for the integration of all revolving titles back into the system. YES

It would be better to simplify the questions:

How about the following?
    [5] Into the building would the vehicle run YES
    [6] Into the building would run the vehicle. YES
    [7] Into the building would the vehicle have to run. YES
    [8] Into the building would have to run the vehicle. NO
    [9] Into the building would you have to run. NO

Many thanks for your enlightenment.

Hiro/ Sendai, Japan

All of this is with the proviso that the context allows the inversions. They can be dramatic or stylised, or sometimes contrastive.

Franzi

(San Francisco) English
    Like natkretep said, since these are poetic constructions, I would usually only expect to see them with poetic subject matter in an appropriate type of document. Most people wouldn't use them to talk about who's going to be shelving magazines.

[1] I find this one awkward, but not utterly ungrammatical like natkretep does.
    [3] "Under your purview would on-going responsibility for the integration of all revolving titles back into the system fall."

HSS

[3] Under your purview would on-going responsibility for the integration of all revolving titles back into the system. I don't understand this sentence. Has it got a lexical verb?

Me and my sleepy head! Yes, I omitted "fall" at the end. And I see that does not sound okay.

Loob

English UK
    I'm sorry, Hiro. I don't like any of your sentences:(

It's the "would" which is the problem.

Last edited:

Michel09

français - France
    I must agree with Loob.

The sentences you provided are not very clear, in my opinion. I, also, would omit the "would" in most of them.

envie de voyager

english-canadian
    I apologize for assuming that you were trying to use inversion to construct questions from statements. But my confusion is a result of the fact that none of these sentences would ever be spoken by anyone in any situation.

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    ... none of these sentences would ever be spoken by anyone in any situation.

Well, maybe an overstatement. I agree that they look unusual, but if you try to put them in context, they could work. For example:

At night, the vehicles in Smiths Motor Workshop would come alive. They would rev up their engines and begin exploring their surroundings. Into the streets would they pour as the poor humans slept.

HSS

I see they are unusual, and hard to understand. This explains how this gentleman asked back for the repeat of the title. Here's the dialogue this construct appeared:

"Volumes maintenance director is the position we have opening up," he said. "You'd intake and inspect all new aquisitions, cross-cataloguing them before entering them into our inventory. Also under your purview would fall ongoing responsibility for the reintegration of all revolving titles back into the system."
    It was quiet for a few moments.
    "What was that title again?"
    Hiro