Inviting a girl for a date

< Previous | Next >

Wheres or whys

British English
Salvete!

I have a somewhat unusual request for the most erudite (and romantic) denizens of this forum. I enjoy studying Latin on my own by memorising aphorisms and ancient poetry, but I have a very limited command of grammar. I am contemplating asking a colleague of mine out on a date, not least because she has a very solid grammar foundation and is similarly infatuated with the language.

I wanted to write my invitation in Latin, but I am not overly confident about this. Are there any examples from poetry/prose that spring to your mind that you think could be used to invite someone on a date? Something that does not require exquisite knowledge of Latin in order to be understood and something that is quite steaightforward in terms of asking the right question?

I do wish to thank you a great deal in advance and even more so if you can suggest something special. It means a lot to me.

• Scholiast

Et salve tu quoque!—necnon amici alii

Wow, that's a challenge. But what a lovely and romantic notion. I think we need to know a little more about the proposed date. Would this be to see a movie, go to a café or restaurant or pub for refreshments or a meal? Or is it completely open?

I could recommend as a starter velim, amabo, tu mecum quondam... ["I could wish, please, that one day you with me..."], cenes ["dine"], or salias ["dance"], or una exeamus [just "go out together"].

I wish you luck of course in your amorous pursuit, and I hope the lady will be suitably impressed and persuaded.

Σ

Snodv

English - Mid-Southern US
    Good advice. That wonderful amabo for "please"--you may recognize it as "I will love [it or you? if you do]"-- is very apropos here, I think.

< Previous | Next >