Inwardly he began to go soft as pulp. But outwardly he began to be effective

longxianchen

chinese
Hi,
Here are some words from the novel Lady Chatterley's Lover(para. 60,near the end of this chapter.) by Lawrence(the University of Adelaide,here):

In one way, Mrs Bolton made a man of him, as Connie never did. Connie kept him apart, and made him sensitive and conscious of himself and his own states. Mrs Bolton made hint aware only of outside things. Inwardly he began to go soft as pulp. But outwardly he began to be effective.

The part in blue seems to be a little messy in logic.What's the meaning of it, especially "effective" please?
I feel "soft as pulp" means Clifford loves Mrs Bolton and "effective" means he is strong and decisive outwardly. Thus, the whole meaning is: he becomes soft inwardly because of love, but outwardly strong because of industrial civilization.
In this way, it will make sense in logic.

But it's just my wild guess. So I need help from native English speakers very much.
Thank you in advance

Last edited:
  • PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    There may be a hint that he finds Mrs Bolton interesting, but this is not the main meaning of Inwardly he began to go soft as pulp. Clifford's reserve is breaking down. You will see that earlier in the chapter, he had kept Mrs Bolton at a distance, not allowing her to have control over him, however, now that is lessening and a new relationship is developing, although it it too early to say that there is romance in the air.

Clifford has also recovered his earlier confidence and this is what But outwardly he began to be effective. means.

PS, there is a misprint in the book: Mrs Bolton made hint him aware only of outside things.

longxianchen

chinese
    THANK you
    PS, there is a misprint in the book: Mrs Bolton made hint him aware only of outside things.
    Really, I didn't even notice it. Thank you again.
    There may be a hint that he finds Mrs Bolton interesting, but this is not the main meaning of Inwardly he began to go soft as pulp. Clifford's reserve is breaking down. You will see that earlier in the chapter, he had kept Mrs Bolton at a distance, not allowing her to have control over him, however, now that is lessening and a new relationship is developing
    Can I understand this part of your explanation as "his indifference, coldness and arrogance have been replaced with warmth( similar to something "soft")?
    And does "effective" mean "strong"? or "of high efficiency"?

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    an I understand this part of your explanation as "his indifference, coldness and arrogance have been replaced with warmth( similar to something "soft")?
    Yes. He is more communicative, more ready to listen to people, more approachable, more understanding.

I would take "effective" to mean more willing to take some sort of action (you will note that he took a trip down a mine.)

< Previous | Next >