Ir de Marcha"

< Previous | Next >
  • Popposil

BCN
    Spanish, Catalan, Spain
    Yes!, the only difference may be that "salir" is marking exactly the fact that you go out, but you can use both, since they are synonyms.

Hope I helped a little bit! XD Best regards!!!

Bilingüe

Uk
    UK English/Spanish
    Thanks to you all but, sadly I'm no going "DE MARCHA", at least not now, or tonight.

By the way has anyone knows the origin or background of this expression?

Popposil

BCN
    Spanish, Catalan, Spain
    Yo tenía entendido que para decir salir de marcha en inglés era: to go out...
    veo que wormy también dice eso, pero ¿habria más formas de decirlo? ¿es más habitual decir "to go out"?

Bilingüe

Uk
    UK English/Spanish
    "To go out" or "to go out on the town", but the second option is a little older (it's something my parents might say).

Yeah, I think that's the formal way of saying it, but I think IR DE MARCHA is something a bit stronger, am I right?

Am afraid I am past my sale by date, ;) ( not in my 20's anymore) and therefore I don't know the rigth answer, perhaps a young reveller will be able to enligthen us all on this matter.

wormy

English, USA
    You could also say, "to go party" ... and I'm sure there are a few other ways to say it, but I can't think of any right now.
    Sorry I can't be of more help!

yirgster

USA, English
    You could just ask, for example,

-- Are you going to party this weekend?
    -- Partying this weekend?
    -- Did you party hard with the guys last weekend?
    -- Do a lot of partying on your vacation?
    -- We're planning on partying like crazy on this summer on Ios [famous Greek partying island in the Cyclades].

To party
    , as I've understood it, doesn't necessarily mean to go to (organized) parties, but rather to engage in activities the main or sole purpose of which is to have fun. Often this involving various substances. So, going to a baseball game would NOT be considered partying (even though it's hopefully fun), but going drinking with your buddies afterward would. If you drank a lot convivially with tus amigos (or even strangers) at the game, then you could say: "We really started to party by the third inning."

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >