Iraqi: no longer

< Previous | Next >

alhanif

Israel
Hi everyone,

How should I say in the Iraqi-dialect "no longer"? For example:

"This ventilaor is no longer usefull".

how should i express that something has become non-exist, or non-existence in generally in the iraqi-dialect?

Thank you.

• clevermizo

English (USA), Spanish
    I don't know much about Iraqi dialect, but perhaps you could say ما عاد ma 3aad? (This has to conjugate appropriately for whatever it is that is no longer.)

Mahaodeh

Arabic, PA and IA.
    ما عاد is used in Iraq, it would be: هذه الساحبة ما عادت مفيدة but you can also more commonly hear: هذه الساحبة بعد ما تفيد. If you use ما عاد you should use a noun (verb correct, but not so common), if you use بعد ما you should only use a verb (noun incorrect).

alhanif

Israel
    Thank's.

Instead of "بعد ما تفيد" can I say "ما تفيد بعد"? As in the sentence:

"هذي البنكه ما تفيد بعد"?

suma

USA
    English, USA
    Thank's.

Instead of "بعد ما تفيد" can I say "ما تفيد بعد"? As in the sentence:

"هذي البنكه ما تفيد بعد"?
    I'm confused because in MSA ما ..... بعد means has not ... yet.

clevermizo

English (USA), Spanish
    I'm confused because in MSA ما ..... بعد means has not ... yet.
    In MSA you don't use ما with المضارع like you can in colloquial. I didn't know that this meant "has not happened yet" in MSA, but the colloquial ما تفيد بعد means (I presume) "it is not useful anymore," where بعد means "after" extended to hereafter, or times after the time it had been useful. Anyway, I guess the difference is the tense.

I would guess the structure you mean is "ما (ماضي) بعد"?

Mahaodeh

Arabic, PA and IA.
    where بعد means "after" extended to hereafter, or times after the time it had been useful. Anyway, I guess the difference is the tense.
    Exactly, if you want to say it in MSA it should be لا تفيد بعد هذا (ok, it's a weak way to say it but you know what I mean)

< Previous | Next >